Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Martlet MkIII, what Wildcat?
ThomasB
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Skåne, Sweden
KitMaker: 762 posts
AeroScale: 141 posts
Posted: Monday, December 18, 2006 - 12:35 AM UTC
I'm just wondering what version of the Wildcat the Martlet MkIII represents, and if there is any kits of this version in 1/48.

Thanks in advance.
29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 674 posts
Posted: Monday, December 18, 2006 - 07:28 AM UTC
The variatons on the Martlet's are the cowling intakes and wing mounted MG's, any Wildcat will build into a Martlet, I've done a Mk V from the Tamiya Wildcat kit.

Hope this helps a little.
Antoni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 574 posts
AeroScale: 573 posts
Posted: Monday, December 18, 2006 - 02:23 PM UTC
Mirage have a long list of Wildcat kits on their future releases list including a Martlet III and Martlet II/Operation Torch. But Mirage is an enigma. The kits could suddenly appear tomorrow or in five years time.

http://www.hannants.co.uk/search/index.php?CATEGORY=&DIVISION=&MANUFACTURER=Mirage&CODE=&TYPE=Aircraft+kits+%28injection%29&SCALE=1%3A48&KEYWORD=&NUMPERPAGE=25&order%5B%5D=arrived+desc&order%5B%5D=code+asc
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 588 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 19, 2006 - 09:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm just wondering what version of the Wildcat the Martlet MkIII represents, and if there is any kits of this version in 1/48.

Thanks in advance.

Thomas,
I believe the MKIII was a later end F4F-3. I don't believe there is a 1/48 version, but could be wrong. However, I would point you to a great article that explains the different MK's and explains what essentially needs to be done to the Tamiya F4F-4 to get the various versions. I am currently working on converting the Tamiya kit to a MKII.

The article by Scott Spencer:
http://fleetairarmsig.netfirms.com/articles/martlet/scottspencer-martlet/martlet.html

I hope it helps.
Leon
 _GOTOTOP