_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Holiday Challenge
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Monday, December 18, 2006 - 08:14 PM UTC
Remember this from the Spruce and Linen thread?
"...The subject of this memo is burnout. That dread affliction first diagnosed in 1916 by Dr. Hertz Van Rental while he was but an intern at Sister Consumpta's free clinic / bar and grill. It is noted in that with the diagnosis of AMS (Advanced Modeler's Syndrome) that the patient may find that there develops dry and scaly (1/72) patches. This is often accompanied by bouts of lacko-ntrest in modeling. These are but symptoms of larger issues.

Most critically is the visual aspect of wide open pupils, noting verbally "...I will never build all of these kits..."

The road map to modeling longevity is a healthy outlook.
1. Never let healthy competition (contests) and their out come taint your enjoyment of the build.

2. Build for yourself, but never be afraid to try new things. Variety is the spice.

3. Stay out of ruts. Consume solid norishment and beware of fast internet feeding frenzys. Take your reference information first hand not the from 30 year old speculations and regurge that lead to disappointment when you discover your triplane should be red and white not blue and white.

4. Have a life away from modeling. Life is short and you can't take anything with you when you go. Enjoy yourself.

5. Nothing is permanent, there is always room for one more build.

6. Revisit an old friend. take one of your favorites down from the shelf and build it without aftermarket PE, resin or decals. Out of the Box therapy.

7. Evaluate your condition and pick the therapy that gives you the fresh perspective.

8. Never mix alcohol and cyano...it does not make a better bonding agent. Trust me on this one.

9. Visit the Aeroscale hangar and peek under the tarps...Especially over on Merlin's side...

10. Have fun, its a hobby enjoy the praises and critiques of people you admire. Never take anything personally.

Here is a bit of Christmas fun. It may not be earth shattering but my challenge to you is to find a yong person who has expressed an interest in your work. Then give as a gift one of your completed or unbuilt kits to that child. When you give a completed kit as a gift you are actually giving from your own time as well as the money it took to purchase a kit. Maybe it is a child in a hospital under going radical surgery and has to be away from home for the holidays. It is a sure way to put the joy of the season into your life. Older kids may find an unbuilt kit, books or videos more appealing. Though to be fair you may have to provide a few paints and tools to aid in the endeavour. Merry Christmas everyone!!!
Kitboy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gelderland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 258 posts
AeroScale: 256 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 19, 2006 - 02:03 AM UTC
Amen,

And now back to my hobbybasement

Thanks for the inspiring words...

Nico
slodder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
AeroScale: 305 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 19, 2006 - 04:16 PM UTC
Well said - have fun life is short.

I actually did a slightly different flavor of your Challenge. I built a kit and gave it to my son as a gift a couple of weeks ago. As I was painting it one day he saw it and said 'ah cool, I like that one'. Little did he know it was slatted for him. When I gave it to him he light up like a Christmas tree. He doesn't build models but he likes some of the subjects I do so it was very cool.

It is a great feeling to put a smile on someone elses face. I think I'll have to extend the reach and find another canidate.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 24, 2006 - 03:31 AM UTC
Its never too late...
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2007 - 09:54 PM UTC
Here is is again folks my holiday challange to beat burn out!
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 03:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Here is is again folks my holiday challange to beat burn out!

Another run at something we all can carry with us into the future. Remember those less fortunate. Remember those who serve your country with selfless heroism. Remember the lonely old woman or man living next door. Forgive the those who have wronged you so your baggage is not so heavy. There are a lot of families with far less than what most of us have. Remember those who have given the ultimate scarifice, whether its police, firefighter or military service. Do what you can to help the helpless. Serve your community. If you pray, pray for all of us. The spirit of the season is sharing. We do it here to a very small extent. Carry it on to the next person.

Its a great receipt for avoiding burnout. Shaken not stirred.
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,121 posts
AeroScale: 1,063 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 04:50 PM UTC

Most excellent sentiments, Stephen. I'd like to send out my heartfelt appreciation to everyone here on Aeroscale. I really enjoy the time I get to spend here and the new friends I've made. Thanks to everyone who makes it possible.

Happy holidays everyone!!!!

Mark
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2008 - 08:38 AM UTC
I second the sentiment. I would like to invite everybody to check out this link. Click here.
Hatter50
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 478 posts
AeroScale: 391 posts
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2008 - 10:52 AM UTC
Very well said sentiments Stephen............

All those "Rules" go well with Modelling 101. I for one and getting my "Brain-Housing-Group" realligned and tuned up for the final PUSH for the Group Build. I "might" not make the deadline.............but I will be trying.

Regards
Steve
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 04:25 PM UTC
Its that time of year again folks.
Dwaynewilly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 365 posts
AeroScale: 344 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 04:38 PM UTC
Stephen,

Yes it is and I have much to be thankful for. Happy Holidays to all and may the
new year find you all in good spirits and good health.

Ho Ho Ho,
Dwayne
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2009 - 01:44 AM UTC
Great words Stephen and a timely admonition. I too appreciate the camaraderie that is on this forum and the knowledge that is shared.
Best wishes to all during this Christmas Season.

Regards

Mark
NickZour
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
AeroScale: 1,241 posts
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2009 - 02:17 AM UTC
Very nice

That encourages me in my brisfit building

Cheers Nick
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, December 03, 2010 - 06:05 PM UTC
Just bringing this up for your consideration.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 12:05 AM UTC
Starting early this year!
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 02:08 AM UTC
Greetings all: Thanks again Stephen for bringing this to our attention. I re-read the thread, can't believe the time has gone by so swiftly, lots of things have happened and a lot to be thankful for. I am almost ready to cut sprue, have the room pretty much in order, things in their place and pretty much ready to go. It has been a long road after the flood of the 4th of July and still dealing with insurance claims, contractors etc. I have accomplished some of the things, forgave, forgot, and appreciate.
Here's wishing the best to all as well for this 2011 Holiday season. Now, as one of the members of the Twin Cities Aero Historians would say, with no disrespect intended or implied: "Shut up and build".
 _GOTOTOP