British Bombers 1/72
droseman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 82 posts
AeroScale: 34 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 24, 2006 - 01:13 AM UTC
Hi,

I am looking to put together a collection of British bombers in 1/72 scale. Does anyone know where I can find an Avro Manchester or Armstron Whitworth Whitley?

Thanks

Dave
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 24, 2006 - 01:36 AM UTC
Hi Dave.
Planet Models do a couple of Manchester kits in resin.
Manchester 1/72
I think there is a Frog kit of a Whitley.Airwaves have a photo etch set available for it but I havent been able to find a link for the kit.
The Planet Models kits are expensive,but you never know whats going to turn up on Ebay.
Hope this is some help
Nige
droseman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 82 posts
AeroScale: 34 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 24, 2006 - 04:25 AM UTC
Cheers Nige, much appreciated,

The Manchester is a bit pricey, but i did find the whitley - in Australia. Have you heard of Modelcraft in Australia (http://www.hobbycentre.com.au/MODELC02.html)? Are they reputable?

Dave
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 24, 2006 - 04:46 AM UTC
No worries Dave.
I personally havent heard of the company but Im sure some of the Aussie guys on here will be able to help you out.
Nige
DaveCox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
AeroScale: 272 posts
Posted: Monday, December 25, 2006 - 10:17 PM UTC
Modelcraft , Novo and Maquette have reboxed the old Frog Whitley (Maquette also released it as a coastal command version). Not currently listed by any of my list of UK dealers or on Ebay. Keep looking and one may surface.!
Wildblue1972
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6 posts
AeroScale: 5 posts
Posted: Monday, May 21, 2007 - 09:00 PM UTC
Hi there! Until recently I had both the Planet Models Manchester kit , plus the old Frog and Novo (it was a east european reissue) Whitley. Unfortunately I had to sell them all on eBay as I was running out of space at home and needed a clear out.

The Planet Models kit is pricey yes, but it really is an exceptional kit. It's also the only model of the Manchester that any manufactuer has released. The kit is all resin. I highly recommend that you get you hands on one. If you can't stretch to paying the full retail price (£63.50 at Hannants for either the MkI or MkIa versions) then they do occasionally appear on eBay. Mine sold for £48.

As for the Whitley kits, I'd recommend holding out to find the original Frog kit as the eastern european re-issues are awful (I could hardly make out the parts from all the distorted overspill from the moulds!). Again, these do appear on eBay from time to time. Be careful though as I understand that there are fakes out there - and even people putting shoddy re-issues in original Frog boxes yes, I got caught out once!). Make sure the seller can assure you that the kit is 100% geniune. The kit parts should be in a unusual creamy white colour. Of course, the decals will be virtually useless, but you can pick up aftermarket sets that are vastly superior.

I hope this helps.

Wildblue1972
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Monday, May 21, 2007 - 10:23 PM UTC
Hello Dave:

Here you have some info:

AVRO MANCHESTER Mk.Ia - FULL RESIN KIT
97 Sqn (Box Art) - 83 Sqn

ARMSTRONG WHITWORTH WHITLEY Mk V / Mk VII (Realesed by Modelcraft)

http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2005/11/stuff_eng_davies_whitley_01.htm

Wolfpack
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 78 posts
AeroScale: 43 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 12:12 AM UTC
If you are intending to buy the Planet kit, read IPMS(UK) magazine 1/2006. By all accounts it has some major inaccuracies and needs a lot of bits from a 1/72 Lancaster to make it into a decent model.

IAN
StenEk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 31 posts
AeroScale: 29 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 01:46 PM UTC
As everyone else have said; for a Whithley there is no other alternative than the old Frog kit. For the Manchester there is, or rather was, also an excellent resin conversion from Paragon intended for the Airfix Lancaster kit. This set has unfortunately been out of production for a couple of years, but is well worth looking for. Since Paragon apparantly has resumed their production a while ago one can only hope this set will be available again, either for the Airfix kit or hopefully retooled for the Hasegawa Lanc or even the upcoming new Revell Kit.
StenEk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 31 posts
AeroScale: 29 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 01:52 PM UTC
I have just been examining the brand new Trumpeter Wellington Mk. Ic over the weekend. It is by far the best Whimpy yet in God's scale! For many years there has only been the choice between the pre-historic Airfix kit and the rather inaccurate Matchbox version. Suddenly we are faced with the choice between a very good MPM kit (and also issued by Italeri) from last year, and an even better one from Trumpeter. Compared to the exellent drawings and photos in the 4+ book on the Wellington it looks to be spot on. The interior is vey well detailed for all crew stations and the typcal geodetic structure covers all the insides except the inside roof. Even the Elsan chemical toilet is included! The bomb bay is fully detailed, although no bombs are included in the kit. However the bomb bay doors are just one complete piece with no provision for mounting them open so all that fine detail will be hidden! But it should be a simple modification to cut up the doors and mount them in the open position, although you need some good references (The 4+ book is ideal!) since the door arrangement is assymetric.

My only negative points so far are that the surface detailing is a bit too pronounced and that the bomb aimers station is lacking a bit of detailing compared to the rest of the interior. The cockpit is also provided with a second set of flight controls. While they correspond accurately to photos, my understanding is that the aircraft was mostly flown without them. It is however quite easy to remove them if you prefere that.

All in all, a very nice and most welcome kit. It is also worth noting that the way the sprues are layed out, and that a few pieces are not to be used on the model, we can most likely expect future Wellington kits from Trumpeter depicting other marks.

Now let's see, where is my stash of Bomber Command decals...
biplane
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 23 posts
AeroScale: 9 posts
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2007 - 02:11 PM UTC
Modelcraft of Canada did isue 2 versions of the whitley in 1/72 scale a Mk IV & V, they are repops of the old Frog molds but cost less, basic kits,not too much detail but fir 1960's technology not bad, main difference is the decals & radar masts. manchecter is out by planet models in resin very costly, also Contrail did a 1/72 Vacuform kit it is proposed that amodel is going to do 1 in 1/144, but we have to wait & see. I also believe that Gerald Elliot did some whitleysa in 1/72 vacuforms also. I hopethis helps you out
Cheers
 _GOTOTOP