_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Tips & Techniques
Discussions on specific A/C building techniques.
Decal trouble
str72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kronoberg, Sweden
KitMaker: 189 posts
AeroScale: 20 posts
Posted: Friday, December 29, 2006 - 07:13 PM UTC
Hello.

Just finished an aircraft from Roden it´s now time for the decals but......problems.

When applied on the model, on a highly gloss surface, using micro set/sol they are completely impossible position right without tearing them apart. This has never happened to me before. Not with Tamiya, Hasegawa etc only with these Roden decals.

Has this happened to someone else??

Torbjörn
Antoni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 574 posts
AeroScale: 573 posts
Posted: Friday, December 29, 2006 - 07:47 PM UTC
Your experience with Roden decals would be considered normal by many people. Some will not even bother trying to use them and seek aftermarket replacements. One suggestion that seems to help is to use saliva as a lubricant.
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Friday, December 29, 2006 - 07:48 PM UTC
I've had similar experiences with Roden decals as well. I'm building Roden's LaGG-3 in the moment and the instrument panel decals seemed quite fragile. Fortunately the few small tears won't be visible in the finished model.
The only other decals I used from the kit-supplied sheet was some of the stenciling (The finnish markings in the kit were inaccurate). Before using them, I brushed on them a coat of microscale's liquid decal film, after which they worked fine.
str72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kronoberg, Sweden
KitMaker: 189 posts
AeroScale: 20 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 04:33 PM UTC
Without using micro set/sol I managed to get the decals on almost without tearing them. Some touch up with a little paint here and there will be necessary. Next time I will try using liquid decal film first or use other decals.

Torbjörn
 _GOTOTOP