Need help with F2G-1/2 super corsair colors
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 08:15 PM UTC
Hi!
For me, the modeling year 2006 could be summarized with one phrase, Fighters under the midnight sun!
To kick off the new year with something not in black/green camo and Finnish markings, I started working on Special hobby's F2G-1/2 super corsair, which I gave to my sister for Christmas with the promise of building it for her.

I was thinking if you could help me a little with the colors.
First, the instructions tell to paint the cockpit with Humbroll 81 (pale yellow), which I think refers to zinch chromate. Weren't he cockpits of US aircraft usually painted interior green?
Also, a ring around the engine cowling beyond the white checker pattern is also pointed out as HU 81, which is clearly light (interior) green in the box art.

My second question is about the landing gear and wells. Again the instructions give quite wacky-sounding paint numbers (at least to me, who's not that familiar with US prototype planes). The instructions tell to paint them HU 189, insignia blue (and a discontinued shade to boot). I would have painted them zinch chromate or interior green...

What colors should I use?
Antoni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 574 posts
AeroScale: 573 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 11:42 PM UTC
Zinc Chromate is a yellow pigment added to protective paints as it inhibits corrosion. There were several different zinc chromate paints in use and one of them was a distinct yellow colour. Green zinc chromates usually get that way because black pigment is added. You can find out all you need to know here: http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2004/01/stuff_eng_interior_colours_us.htm

Part I will explain about zinc chromate. Go to part III to find out about the interior colours of USN aircraft.
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 01:52 AM UTC
Thanks.
How absent-minded am I? I should have remembered to check those articles too...
 _GOTOTOP