_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Group Build, What Is It?
chip250
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,864 posts
AeroScale: 410 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 08:33 PM UTC
What the heck is a group build? I have heard about it on here, and on the internet.

Thanks!

-Chip
TwistedFate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 805 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 08:45 PM UTC
It kind of depends on the context. There are actually several different types.

1) A group of modelers building the same type of model (i.e the Spitfire, T-55, etc...). In the case of the Spitfire group build here, I believe they are all building the Tamiya kit.
2) A group of modelers building kits in theme. i.e. Allied WWII aircraft, Single engine jets, etc...
3) A group of modelers building 1 model, where the kit is passed from modeler to modeler with each one building a portion of it.
4) A group of modelers building 1 model, where each modeler builds a sub-assembly of the model without input from the other modelers and all the sub-assemblies are put together at the end.

The key aspect is 'A group of modelers building models together'. The first 2 are the most common group builds you will see. Group Builds often serve to show how different modelers approach similar situations and can be used as a learning experience for many, or just a way to get to know other modelers. You should join one, they are loads of fun. I believe the Spitfire GB here is just getting started.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 09:53 PM UTC
Hi Chip,
As TwistedFate says a group build can be many things. The Spitfire group build that as TwistedFate rightly says is just getting started. If you have any interest at all in aircraft this would be a good one to join. It all started because Roger, Favorisio, expressed a wish to build an aircraft model. He has just started out in modelling and is on, I think his second tank. For an easy straight forward build I suggested the Tamiya 1/48 Spitfire Mk1. Because I'm involved in 2 group builds, building 5 models it isn't planned to start until after the Corsair group build finishes, in May. If you take a look at the Spitfire group build thread you will see that there has been some interesting discussions so far, and they will be on going until the start of the build. When we start the build there will be no time pressure imposed, because remember the idea is to help Roger through the build with as little hassle as possible. We will discus each stage in the forum, or in the chat room then build that stage sorting out any problems, if, they occur. Any level of builder is welcome, the idea being that the more experienced help the less experienced. If you have any questions about this particular group build just ask. :-)
By the way, if you want to join just express your intention on the Spitfire group build thread, there is no pressure and no harm will come to you should you not complete the build
The only thing you have to do is have fun and learn :-)
Mal
Favorisio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 277 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 02:07 AM UTC
Hi Chip

Go on - join the Spitfire group build - you know you want to...

And remember, you can never have too many Spitfires. Ain't that right Mal?

Roger (It's all my fault this one)
TwistedFate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 805 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 03:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I bet there were quite a few German pilots who would disagree with you.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 04:03 AM UTC
Hi Roger :-)

Quoted Text

Dead right, i did mean to add that little snippet. My collection will ultimately include at least one example of all Spitfires built, including the Schnider trophy outright winning S6B of 1931 (which later captured the absolute speed record of 407 mph) and the Supermarine type 244.
Hi TwistedFate

Quoted Text

I bet there were quite a few German pilots who would disagree with you.

And you are certainly right about that :-)
Gotta love that Spitfire, a symbol of freedom if ever there was one. :-)
So what do you say, Chip, are you in for the Spitfire group build?
Mal
 _GOTOTOP