_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Interior green?
ThomasB
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Skåne, Sweden
KitMaker: 762 posts
AeroScale: 141 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 12:30 AM UTC
I have two projects I'm about to start (if another life time project could go to sleep...). I Tamiya Buffalo, and one Tamiya Wildcat. And both these aircrafts should have interior green.

So, what's the problem. First, what color in the Humbrol line is a match to this (or a close match)? And second, according to my reference Buffalos serving in the RAF had british style interior green, but according to the instructions, both aircrafts should be painted in the same way!

So, if someone could help me with this, I would be really happy.
Dirk-Danger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 252 posts
AeroScale: 162 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 01:02 AM UTC
Humbrol interior green (Matt cockpit green) - #78

As its Humbrol I'm assuming thats for the British version - Humbrol typically name their US colours as - 'US light green' etc.

Lee
EdgarBrooks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 397 posts
AeroScale: 384 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 03:01 AM UTC
Humbrol don't have a straight match, for U.S. cockpit green, any more, just a mix of 10 parts 150, 7 parts of 80, and 3 parts of 109. The nearest FS no. is 34151, and Hannant's, certainly, do it in both their Xtracolor, and Xtracrylix, ranges, as X117 & XA1117. Accurate Miniatures always reckoned that 120 was closest, but it looks far too light, to me. I'd say that 105 was closer, but I'm looking at the chips under artifical light, so I'd advise caution.
Edgar
Bigskip
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,487 posts
AeroScale: 575 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 03:13 AM UTC
I asked a similar question answers here

Hope this helps

Andy
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 01:43 PM UTC
Hejsan Thomas!

Here´s what I found in a document by Mr Rice;

Detta är ett utdrag från ett dokument som en Mr Rice skrivit.
Han verkar veta vad han skriver om, så jag brukar gå på detta.

F4F-3 / F4F-4, Wildcat. Cockpit: FS 34058 Bronze Green. Some may have been painted FS 34151. Bronze Green is the first choice. The only area that was Bronze Green was the pilot’s portion of the cockpit above the 'Floor'. The fuel tank under the cockpit was light gray or black with an interior green supporting structure. The area below the floor was Interior Green. The inside of the engine cowling and main gear bay were Light Gray, as was the interior of the fuselage all the way back to the tail. Tri-color aircraft would have had Insignia White wheel bays (cutout for the tire). Tom Cheek who fought the Japanese at Midway says that he painted his cockpit red to keep him alert! Anything is possible.

Bronze Green = H149
Interor Green = H78
Light Grey = H196

Some pics from my Trumpeter F4F-4, painted accordingly for a tri-color scheme;

Fuselage sides;

Engine;

Fuselage before closing it up;

If anybody want the whole document, Please send me a mail.

Cheers!

Stefan E
 _GOTOTOP