Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 08:27 PM UTC

Hi there

I'm doing everything back to front... but then logic never was my strong point!

I've been preparing an in-box review for the new Azur kit and, as usual, I've tried to be fairly thorough in test-fitting the major parts. Thing is, I've realised I've kind of gone a bit too far - glueing the wings together, assembling the nacelle and cleaning up all the resin internal parts doesn't really count as a "test-fit"! :-)

So, I suppose I'd better come clean and admit to myself that I'm actually building the kit and do the only honorable thing - start a build-thread for it!

I'll post pics of my progress soon and still aim to publish the in-box review at the weekend - well, it's mostly written, so I might as well use it! :-)

All the best

Rowan
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 04:06 AM UTC
Hi again

As promised, a look at the first tentative steps. I guess this was the point at which the bug bit:

In the course of test-fitting, I found that, despite the wing panels lining up generally fine, there's a definite mis-match at the trailing edge root. Closer inspection shows the angle of the root is slightly off - no big hassle to fix, but it needs watching out for, or else the cental panel/wing-mount will be thrown out of kilter.

Ejector pin marks! Don't you love them! I've just included this pic for newcomers who may never have tackled a short-run kit and wonder why we make all the fuss about these little devils:

The interior has some quite nicely detailed resin parts, but I had a sneaky suspicion that the cental area of the cabin (in particular) looked ominously bare. Jean-Luc has just sent me some marvelous reference photos which confirm that Azur have missed out masses of detail! Anyway, in preparation for adding at least some idea of the fittings, I cut off a section of a MasterCasters Foam Sander and set about removing more ejector pin marks and smoothing the interior walls:

And lastly, a question for Jean-Luc, or anyone else with references for this beast; I'm assuming these solid lumps on the nacelle were actually air-inlets on the real thing and should be opened out?:

More pics as and when I make some progress.

All the best

Rowan
Percheron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 432 posts
AeroScale: 360 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 04:48 AM UTC
Thank you Rowan,

I love seeing unusual planes be the subject of a model. Defiantly not something seen often. As a side note, thank you (and all the editors and worker bees) for keeping this site what it is, a great place to learn and participate.

-Derek
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 04:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm assuming these solid lumps on the nacelle were actually air-inlets on the real thing and should be opened out?

LOL! I think the answer was staring me in the face on the boxtop! But still, if any knows whether there were grills over the openings it'd be cool.

And cheers for the encouragement Derek - I'll need plenty more where that came from to see me through this build - just ask anyone how good I am at actually finishing the builds I start...

All the best

Rowan
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
AeroScale: 836 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 01:16 PM UTC
Go Merlin Go..... :-)
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 02:41 PM UTC
Very unusual subject. A change from all those 109s and P-51s :-)

Looking forward to follow your build. Thanks for sharing
Antoni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 574 posts
AeroScale: 573 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 07:32 PM UTC
Paris Air Show 1938. Hanging from the roof PWS-101 glider, under it PZL P.37 Łos. Centre right hand side is the Loire 130.

What has happened to the starboard wing? Is it folded?

Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 07:55 PM UTC
Hi Antoni

Cheers - that's a great help! It's definitely an intake on the cowling.

Yes - the 130's wings were folded to save space when on board ship, but I won't be building mine that way or the catapult launcher - I'd never finish it! LOL!

All the best

Rowan
Antoni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 574 posts
AeroScale: 573 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 08:05 PM UTC
Eduard might produce some PE?
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,707 posts
AeroScale: 1,119 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 08:30 PM UTC
Looking forward to your progress on this lassie. Here's a few more pictures for you Rowan.....

Also, I pulled a few strings to help you out in a wee way. Here's a few friends of mine from Minnesota Vikings to cheer you on during the build.....
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 08:52 PM UTC
Hi Rowan!

Here's a picture of the air inlets you talked about earlier in the thread...

I think they had grills...

As you suggested, I may join you later with my FM kit for a comparison build. However, I wanted to build it more in the July/August period during my summer holidays. Maybe you'll have finished the interior by then... :-)

Jean-Luc
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 11:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Maybe you'll have finished the interior by then...

:-) I wouldn't count on it! I still reckon you'll finish before me - that's why I've given myself a 6-months head start!

Thanks for the refs (and the cheerleaders!) guys. Now to sit down with Jean-Luc's interior shots and start planning how to tackle the kit's rather empty office...

All the best

Rowan
 _GOTOTOP