Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Any AM for SF's LaGG-3 available yet?
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 08:32 PM UTC
Well, the subject pretty much says it all. Has any company made aftermarket parts for this kit yet?
At least the canopy looks like it should be replaced. Quite a pebbly surface on it, and there's a small crack in the sliding center section on my copy. (well, there is that falcon clear-vax set with LaGG-3 canopies, but I still have to come across one) Then there's the missing seat harness, but those I already have from extratech.
Also, the cockpit could use some upgrading, any resin sets out yet? (but I do remember reading an article where the author used some parts meant for an La-5)
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 02:49 AM UTC
Hi Eetu

I haven't seen any detail sets yet, other than painting masks from Eduard and Montex. As regards the canopy, the original was such poor quality that pilots often removed it and flew with an open cockpit, so you may well be able to get around that cracked panel.

Vector have just released a resin late-mark LaGG-3 if you fancy splashing out on a treat for yourself. I'm sure I won't be able to resist it for long and I'll probably use its lovely cockpit parts as a reference for adding detail to my SF kit.

All the best

Rowan
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 04:08 PM UTC
I'm planning to build the kit as the Finnish LG-1, so removing that middle section of the canopy is out of question. I think I'll either have to live with the kit parts, hunt down some falcon canopies or wait for some manufacturer to release some new stuff. (Pavla's resin cockpit / vacu-form canopy sets would really hit the spot!)

But then of course there's the option of vacuforming a new canopy myself, but that's I've never done before. Guess I should do some researching about the subject.
 _GOTOTOP