Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Malta Spitfire question.
ThomasB
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Skåne, Sweden
KitMaker: 762 posts
AeroScale: 141 posts
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2007 - 09:40 PM UTC
I have a question about the famous blue (or whatever color it may be, don't start this discussion...) Spitfires on Malta.

Would all the stenciling be visible (walkways and such) or would it have been overpainted.

Have finally painted my Spitfire, and as you might guess, time to start marking it.
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2007 - 10:03 PM UTC
Hi Thomas.
I think the answer to this could be open ended and subject to your discretion really.
I have read of Spitfires arriving on Malta and having their existing squadron codes painted over.Unfortunately all of my reference books are packed ready for the house move so I cant scan and post a picture of this.
From what I have found in research on the Malta Blue Spitfires,they were painted on the USS Wasp during the voyage.Not getting into the "blue" question,but it all points to them being very roughly painted,so I would say ( only my opinion) that the stencils would have been painted over.
Maybe this quote I found while researching Malta for a possible campaign will help you decide..
Many of the subjects, particularly the "Malta Blue" Spitfires, are frankly the result of best-informed historical deduction, ending in a guess.
Hope this helps and sorry if it sounds a bit vague.
Nige
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2007 - 10:31 PM UTC
Thomas.
Heres a picture of a "blue" Spitfire onboard USS Wasp after it had been repainted mid voyage.

You can see how roughly the paint has been applied,especially around the serial number and also it appears that the fusalage roundels have been hand painted as well.Also note what appears to be paint on the tyres.I doubt the stencils would have survived.
Hope this helps
Nige
Brigandine
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dunedin, New Zealand
KitMaker: 553 posts
AeroScale: 86 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 02:56 PM UTC

Here's another view of one of the Spitfire Vcs on Wasp. No sign of the usual walkway lines or stenciling on the upper wings. Because the Spitfires were new off the production lines, the standard undersurface stenciling more than likely stayed intact.

Photo from http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/sh-usn/usnsh-w/cv7.htm

Just looking at Nige's photo, there appears to be an inscription roughly applied in white below the exhaust stubs. There is also the possibility that some bright spark may have accidentally overpainted the fuselage roundel, only to have to clean it up again. I don't think the main tyres were overpainted - looks more like dry mud and dirt - the tailwheel tyre is another story. C4 looks to have had a neater paint job applied.
 _GOTOTOP