_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Skyraider: Locked and Loaded
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 880 posts
AeroScale: 654 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 10:35 PM UTC
Hi everyone. The Skyraider is finally finished.. This is the 1/48 scale Tamiya kit. I used an instrument panel, gunsight and resin seat from CMK in the cockpit. http://gallery.kitmaker.net/data/500/medium/Cockpit_001.JPG[/img].I detailed the engine with some fine wire and careful painting, the flap indicator rod is a short length of stretched sprue painted red.. The weapons load is from Hasewgawa's Weapons Set A. I used stretched sprue for the fuse wires on the Mk. 82"s. I added bolts to the sway braces with small bits of stretched sprue. The grafitti on the Mk. 82's was made with Archer Fine Tranfers.. The anti-slip and pilots step stripe were masked and painted with black paint. Panel lines were preshaded with black grey before applying ModelMaster paints. Decals are from Aeromaster, there A1H Pt. 2 sheet. I didn't do much weathering, just some exhaust stains[which I think are a little too heavy] and some oil stains and dirt stains.. The base was made using foam board with seams cut into into the board being careful not to cut all the way through. I preshaded the lines with black and then applied Floquil's Concrete as a finish coat. The frame is a $12.00 item from an arts&crafts store. I didn't want a frame that was to wide so it wouldn't take away form the base and model. That's about it, hope everyone is having a Happy New Year, thanks for looking, Wingman out.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 10:42 PM UTC
Hi Michael

I've been looking forward to seeing this one finished. Wow! Beautiful work! It looks absolutely awesome! I love the details like the remove-before-flight tags. This has got to become an On-Display subject...

All the best

Rowan
Wad_ware
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 537 posts
AeroScale: 437 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 10:56 PM UTC
Hi Michael,
Your Skyraider looks great. Comparing your exhaust stains to some of the pictures I have seen.. yours are definitely not too heavy. I think they look fine. Really nice work all the way around

Good modeling,
Wayne
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,707 posts
AeroScale: 1,119 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 11:02 PM UTC
HOT DAMN!!! Somehow I don't really feel like building my Skyraider for the Vietnam campaign.... :-)
That's one astonishing build Michael 10 out of 10! And, your exhaust stains looks just right as well, I wouldn't change a single thing.
Well, maybe one thing, that I was the one that had built it! :-) :-) :-)
Well done!
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 02:55 AM UTC
Thanks for the kind words guys. This was a nice build. This was my first pre-shade build. I'll be pre-shading the Skyhawk I'll be doing next. That one shouldn't take as long. Thanks for looking, Wingman out.
ladymodelbuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,218 posts
AeroScale: 424 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 03:02 AM UTC
Hi Wingman

This is one beautiful Skyraider !!!! Great on the weathering and the oilstreaks. Can't wait to see more of your work.

wizard179
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 251 posts
AeroScale: 179 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 04:03 PM UTC
Hi Wingman

Very nice Skyraider! I agree with the rest, i don't think the exhausts are too heavy. In the top picture they do a look a little heavy but in the close up of the propeller and front cowl they look good.

Cheers
Wiz

PS; shame you jumped the gun and missed the Vietnam campaign with this beauty!
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 04:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This has got to become an On-Display subject...

Or a build feature!

Michael, that's a fantastic looking model! Congratulations!

Jean-Luc
slodder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
AeroScale: 305 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 05:27 PM UTC
Very nice - I like the way you outlined what extras you used too. Gives people information on how they can improve on an already great kit.

Well done.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 07:26 PM UTC
Very very impressive! I really like it. It is simply a perfect build IMO.
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, January 15, 2007 - 02:38 AM UTC
Hi everyone. THANKS for all the wonderful comments. It really is nice to be able to share your work to fellow modellers like yourself around the world, thanks go out again to all involved with running AEROSCALE,they do an outstanding job. By the way, the "remove before flight tags" are vinyl items from Alexander the Great diorama accessories distributed via VLS, I forgot to mention that in the build notes. Thanks for looking, Wingman out.
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 588 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 05:10 AM UTC
Wingman,
Excellent looking skyraider! I really like it and all of the small, little, extra details you added. Really nice work! One thing I don't think you mentioned, but I am curious about, are the wheel (I don't know the name) holders/stoppers? Did you scratch build those or other? Anyway, I will join the others in hoping for a feature or display.
Hope all is well.
Leon
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 05:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wingman,
Excellent looking skyraider! I really like it and all of the small, little, extra details you added. Really nice work! One thing I don't think you mentioned, but I am curious about, are the wheel (I don't know the name) holders/stoppers? Did you scratch build those or other? Anyway, I will join the others in hoping for a feature or display.
Hope all is well.
Leon

Hi Leon. The wheel chocks were scratchbuilt using parts from the spares box. I think the part I used might of been a missle rack of some sort. I was lucky to have two of them to use. I cut sections all the same size out of the center rack, then drilled holes into the one side of the chock and all the way through the other one and then inserted a length of plastic rod fixed with plastic cement. They were painted yellow and then weathered with black paint. Remember to keep all those extra parts when your done with your build, you never know when your gonna need 'em. Thanks for the nice comments, and thanks for looking, Wingman out.
 _GOTOTOP