Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Mig 3 Prop Color
Dee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 118 posts
AeroScale: 5 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 10:31 AM UTC
I'm doing a mig-3 with brown/green camo paint scheme, but can't figure out what color the prop should be. Any ref pics or just color references would be greatly appreciated...thanks!

Dee
oleander13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 30 posts
AeroScale: 28 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 11:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm doing a mig-3 with brown/green camo paint scheme, but can't figure out what color the prop should be. Any ref pics or just color references would be greatly appreciated...thanks!

Dee

According to Erik Pilawkii's excellent book "Soviet Air Force Fighter Colours 1941-1945", the spinners were painted on some aircraft to match the rest of the camouflage. Others were painted black. According to the reference I have read, the actual color is A-II Black over A-II Green(. Not sure if anyone else can confirm, but I don't think the MiG-3 used brown camouflage at all.

During the Winter, the spinner would have been painted red.

Hope this helps
Dee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 118 posts
Posted: Friday, January 19, 2007 - 06:17 AM UTC
Hmm, you say that the Mig 3 didn't use brown camo? I coulda sworn I saw some pics with brown, and the paint scheme for my kit is most definitely brown. So I'm not sure about that, unless you mean that the prop was never brown.

I think that since the color on the nose of my paint job is brown, I'll go for a brown spinner with black blades. I think that should look nice.
oleander13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 30 posts
AeroScale: 28 posts
Posted: Friday, January 19, 2007 - 10:04 PM UTC
All the references I have show black and green or solid green on all MiG-3's. According to one of the authorities on the VVS colors of WWII, brown was never used on the MiG-3.

Truth is though, it's your model, and if you want to make it brown then that is fine. I'm sure it will come out awesome looking. Good luck on it.
Michael_XIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
St. Petersburg, Russia
KitMaker: 6 posts
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2007 - 10:55 PM UTC
What reason for making brown-green camo?
As I remember it was a some kinds of expiremental camo tested on I-16

As for prop - blades could be
* overall black
* metal with partially black backsides of 3/4 see
* possible white on winter camo

Spinner could be various color

Good luck!
 _GOTOTOP