_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Tips & Techniques
Discussions on specific A/C building techniques.
Advice on writing free lance for magazines.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 03:11 PM UTC
I have recently been asked about writing magazine articles. The fellow wrote.

Quoted Text

Dear Stephen,

I would like to ask you something about the magazine(s) from the UK. This month in this magazine had published my article about the Soviet fighter. I don't know have you seen this issue but I have seen your article about Albatros and it is great job. My question is did they regulary pay to the authors? Please do not answer about fee and details, yes or no is good enough for me.

Last year I have published article in the one older magazine about the Focke Wulf 190D but I have never received payment even the sample of magazine. Editor of the first magazine is look very to be a nice man, he has posted to me several magazines, one book [for review on my web site] and my authors sample of 2007. In the meantime he had receive CD with three more articles. After damage with the second magazine I am a little bit scared about the paymment situation. It is not easy to be free lancer and work primary as the modeler, illustrator or article writer.

In friendship...

Greetings friend,

The problem is that its not a yes and no question. The editor you mentioned is a fine fellow but he is not incharge of payments. I have had to fight with magazine office staff when it comes to payments. The second magazine you mentioned only published one article of mine and they paid me on time. But they were not honest with me about other things. I have published 19 articles with various hobby magazines. but they still when it comes to money the office staff treat people badly when it comes to payments. You just have to stay on them.

Mostly thats why I opened my own website so everyone could have contemporary information (that usually costs much more) for less. No worries about asking questions. I like your website by the way .

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 03:23 PM UTC
He continues...

Quoted Text

Dear Stephen,

first I would like to thank you for very fast and honest reply on my message. Special thanks for your very kind words about my web site... what to say, I work it from my hart and it had almost 2 million of visitors last year.

But your answer is really scare me. And the fact is that most publishers became group of friends who's looking for their own interest. Ones from France don't reply at all as well the magazines from Japan, America have it's own friends, magazine from UK try to force their own authors. That's maybe the answer why you after 19 articles still have no minimum of respect from their side. Also I have a feeling that the first magazine I mentioned had some problems with illustrators and draughtsman's.

With all of this mentioned it is almost of great interest to start one new magazine. Just look at the crew like this forum - this could be the best editorial core ever. But problem is who could start with financials for the magazine, distribution and other things. To begin something like this in my country is the same as making suicide. But the fact is that there is much of space and authors who could be engaged in creating of best text, color art, drawings...

So hard time is in front of me ...

These are the problems. But to start a magazine is very hard. To start a webzine not so hard. The problem is that everyone wants something for nothing. Labors of love are all fine. I publish in historical journals like Cross & Cockade Intl & Over the Front. I love this history...

There have been several people that publish magazines on WWI. The most excellent is Ray Rimell. I support his efforts and buy his Datafiles. Simply the best stuff going even if there are mistakes. He does what he can and should profit from his works. Also, the people at Aeroscale.com have been very good to me. Join me there sometime.
 _GOTOTOP