_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Hawker Hurricane Group Build
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 09:53 PM UTC
:-) If I've got this right BP is up for a Hurricane group build, any other takers
I'm in, Hurricane Mk I and possibly a MkIID Trop with 40 mm cannon, both 1/48 Hasegawa. Any ideas for this group build?
In another thread vlady is talking about a Spitfire campaign (not sure of the difference) but between the 2 group builds, Spitfire and Hurricane, we could also have a "campaign" theme of the Battle for Britain. Any thoughts/ideas on this.
Mal
TwistedFate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 805 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 05:24 AM UTC
Hurricane GB : I would join in
Campaign: I would prefer a BoB campaign over say a Spitfire campaign cause of the Spitfire GB getting ready to go unless we changed over the GB to a Campaign, but on the other hand you can never have too many Spitfires.
bison44
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 471 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 05:38 AM UTC
The idea for a BOB build is a good one. That way we can have hurricanes/spits/defiants etc, sort of combine the seperate builds into one big one. Have more people involved and a little freedom in the choice of birds.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 05:42 AM UTC
:-) Well we have the Spitfire group build, which is for the 1/48 Tamiya Mk I, which would qualify for a BoB Campaign build. We now have this Hurri group build, which we haven't finalised any details yet. I would suggest any Hawker Hurricane from prototype to final version, any scale, out of the box to super detailed. If we have a BoB Campaign a Mk I Hurri would qualify for that. A BoB campaign would also allow far greater participation. :-)
Mal
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 05:45 AM UTC
Hi Ryan,
Beat me to it, are you up for a BoB Campaign? I do have a Defiant as well :-)
Mal
m1garand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,248 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 06:09 AM UTC
I have a 1/72 Hasegawa Hurricane flown by Robert Stanford Tuck. So I might be interested in joining, if I get more free time than for the figure build.
TwistedFate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 06:25 AM UTC
Count me in for both.

Geez, I haven't built this many aircraft in years.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
AeroScale: 287 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 07:00 AM UTC
I'm not a real aircraft builder, but I do have a 1/72 scale Sword Hurricane that someone gave me in a trade. I am unsure of the mark or whether or not it was used during the BOB. If it was, I'd build it as part of your group build. Just don't expect it to look very good!
Favorisio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 277 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 07:17 AM UTC
If my Spitfire goes along OK, I would also like to do the Huricane one too That way the techniques I learn on one can be used on the other :-)

Presumably the start time for the Hurri GB would be after the Spit GB?

Then of course I could have the choice of 2 for the campaign (not sure if I fully understand what a campaign is mind Hey, I'm getting into this!!

Roger
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 08:05 AM UTC
:-) Hi Rob

Quoted Text

I'm not a real aircraft builder, but I do have a 1/72 scale Sword Hurricane that someone gave me in a trade. I am unsure of the mark or whether or not it was used during the BOB. If it was, I'd build it as part of your group build. Just don't expect it to look very good!

Welcome aboard :-) If the Hurri has 4 guns in each wing, grouped close together, then it will probably be a Mk I and qualify. The way this is looking though the Hurri build will be any mark. If it's a model of an aeroplane, particularly British, it will always look good
:-) Roger

Quoted Text

Presumably the start time for the Hurri GB would be after the Spit GB?

I think they might be running concurrently, interest is picking up. We need to throw some ideas in the ring :-)
:-)
Quoted Text

Then of course I could have the choice of 2 for the campaign (not sure if I fully understand what a campaign is mind Hey, I'm getting into this!!

It looks very much like the BoB Campaign will run concurrently as well. I'm not sure I understand the meaning in this context. but as Ryan says

Quoted Text

The idea for a BOB build is a good one. That way we can have hurricanes/spits/defiants etc, sort of combine the seperate builds into one big one. Have more people involved and a little freedom in the choice of birds.

However we mustn't loose sight of the idea behind the the Spitfire group build, to take novices through an aircraft build stage by stage. Anyone participating would/could automatically qualify for the BoB Campaign. If you particularly wanted to build a Hurri, and remember, you can't have to many Hurricanes, maybe the Hurri Group build could be extended, for those novices in the Spit build. Thoughts please :-)
:-) BC

Quoted Text

I have a 1/72 Hasegawa Hurricane flown by Robert Stanford Tuck. So I might be interested in joining, if I get more free time than for the figure build.

It dosn't look as if the Hurri build will start until May, same as the Spit build, and probably the BoB Campaign. Bob Tucks Hurri, Burma Sqn, nice one. I'm planning Baders LEoD, but Tucks would be my other choice, Roger (Favorisio) will tell you I have an awsome Robert Taylor painting of Bob Tucks first kill over Dunkirk Spitfires and burning Bf 110s, what more could you want. :-)
Mal
penpen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 08:25 AM UTC
A BoB campaign !
I'll certainly be in !
And it's lucky it starts in may because I'll be away from home for most of april.
Anyway, I don't know yet what I'll be building...
m1garand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,248 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 08:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It dosn't look as if the Hurri build will start until May, same as the Spit build, and probably the BoB Campaign. Bob Tucks Hurri, Burma Sqn, nice one. I'm planning Baders LEoD, but Tucks would be my other choice, Roger (Favorisio) will tell you I have an awsome Robert Taylor painting of Bob Tucks first kill over Dunkirk Spitfires and burning Bf 110s, what more could you want.
Mal

I have a Robert Taylor of Bob Tuck flying a hurricane over the Thames "Victory Salute" with a Spitfire. And one of my favorite books is "Fly For Your Life" about Bob Tuck.
Favorisio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 10:19 AM UTC
Mal,

It seems as though the interst in then Hurricane GB is greater than the Spitfire GB, no great surprise as the Spit GB was always envisaged as help for the beginner a/c builder. So on that basis I have 2 questions. (OK maybe 3)

1 - Could the Spit build start earlier? I would imagine we have all the interest we are going to get for this, I think we all have the kit ready to go, the build will be fairly slow (I imagine), and I cant wait to get started

2 - How much harder do you think the Hurricane GB would be than the Spit? I know it will depend on what Hurri is done, but in my case it would be as straightfoward as I could make it.

3 - Is a campaign like a kind of competition? Otherwise what's the difference. It seems both Group Builds and Campaigns have guidelines (or rules) as to what should be built. I'm confused.

Cheers Roger
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 10:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Mal,

It seems as though the interst in then Hurricane GB is greater than the Spitfire GB, no great surprise as the Spit GB was always envisaged as help for the beginner a/c builder. So on that basis I have 2 questions. (OK maybe 3)

1 - Could the Spit build start earlier? I would imagine we have all the interest we are going to get for this, I think we all have the kit ready to go, the build will be fairly slow (I imagine), and I cant wait to get started

2 - How much harder do you think the Hurricane GB would be than the Spit? I know it will depend on what Hurri is done, but in my case it would be as straightfoward as I could make it.

3 - Is a campaign like a kind of competition? Otherwise what's the difference. It seems both Group Builds and Campaigns have guidelines (or rules) as to what should be built. I'm confused.

Cheers Roger

Hi Roger,
I was thinking along the same lines:
1. Yes I believe the Spitfire group build could start earlier. however but I will need to check, I think Penny is waiting to get her kit, and is still in the Luftwaffe build, as am I. Plus I think we are both in the Corsair build. Give me some time and I'll figure a way, (I'm in the middle of exams at the moment)
2. Even if you take the Hasegawa Hurricane, which is the best on the market, you will find it more difficult than the Tamiya Spit. I certainly think it will be more difficult to talk you through it, so to speak. I'm thinking on the lines of a possable extension on the Hurricane group build for those novices that complete the Spitfire build and want to do that as well.
3. I'm not sure about a campaign, I will make enquiries and find out :-)
Give me a bit of time though as I said I'm in the middle of my NEBOSH exams, last one is a week Friday. Plus I have to do a seminar paper for my other course, and try and finish the 3 Amigos:|
Mal
Favorisio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 11:07 AM UTC
Mal,

Of course, I don't mean to put any pressure on you at all mate, just me being impatient. I guess because I don't have any time constraints on any of my projects (not in any other group projects) I can drop and pick things up at any time.

Good luck with the exams, make sure you keep your priorities in order

It may be better for me to wait till well into the first build before deciding on the next move, after all I may hate doing aircraft. Or I may decide to do another Spit with my new found experience, maybe DWoK #:-) Remember, you can never have too many Spitfires

Later,

Roger
TwistedFate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 10:13 AM UTC
I found one of my Hurris today. A 1:144 Hurri was buried at my LHS. It wasn't the 1:72 A6M2 Zero I was looking for, but I'll take it anyway (3 hobby shops and only one Zero in 1:72, and it was the wrong one, A6M5 grrrrr). Now to get a real Hurri as a 1:144 just isn't much of a building task for a group build. I'm assuming we can say that you can't have too many Hurricanes.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 08:55 PM UTC
:-) BC

Quoted Text

have a Robert Taylor of Bob Tuck flying a hurricane over the Thames "Victory Salute" with a Spitfire. And one of my favorite books is "Fly For Your Life" about Bob Tuck.

:-) I have that picture as well, in fact Ihave 2 books of Robert Taylors paintings, and 1 of Noicolas Trudgian. Some of them will be framed and go in my dining room where I am building my display cabinets :-)
I have also read "Fly For Your Life", an excellant and inspiring read. Since you mentioned it I tried to find it but with no luck. It's about time I read it again, have to keep looking. :-)
Mal
bytepilot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Karnataka, India / भारत
KitMaker: 381 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 04:58 PM UTC
Hi folks,

Well, as i said earlier, I'm game for a Hurricane build.

At this point, I have a set of 4 Hurris in 1/72 scale(Academy), and one more is on its way from Ebay(it's a 1/48). I have already finished the decals for my planes(in 1/72), and I will be making them in Royal Indian Air Force markings.

So here's how my breakup goes:
1. 1/72
- One with kit decals(ZB 464).
- One RIAF No 2 Sdn, LE 146, Flt Lt Koel's Plane

- One RIAF No 3 Sdn, HV 538 Flying Eagles

- One for the BoB campaign, markings undecided. I will be designing decals for this myself .

2. 1/48
- RIAF No 1 Sdn KZ 352, Flying Elephants. I'm planning to detail this with some scratchbuilt stuff. It's a Monogram Hurri Mk IIc.

I hope these will qualify for the Hurri group build. Mal, pls let me know if it's otherwise !

Cheers,
BP.
TwistedFate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 05:56 PM UTC
Good deal, bytepilot. The Hurri GB has actually been rolled into the BfB campaign so it's no longer seperate. Head over to that thread for full details.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 11:58 PM UTC
Hi BP,
Unfortunately the the first cannon armed Mk II, V2461, first flew on 6th Feb 1941. So they won't qualify, I'm afraid
Mal
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,495 posts
AeroScale: 643 posts
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2003 - 12:18 AM UTC
There was only one cannon armed Hurricane flown in combat during theBfB. It was an experimental cannon armed Mk1 and was armed with two 20mm cannon, one mounted under each wing in fairings. Apparently the plane (L1750) was not liked by the pilots as the performance was severely affected.
bytepilot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Karnataka, India / भारत
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2003 - 05:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi BP,
Unfortunately the the first cannon armed Mk II, V2461, first flew on 6th Feb 1941. So they won't qualify, I'm afraid
Mal

Sadly, I'm out of the race then ! However, if there is a 'only Hawker Hurri' campaign, then I'll be delighted to chip in ...This is b'cos I really, really want to build a set of RIAF Hurris, and I've put in a lot of effort for the decals in this regard.

So do keep me updated in case you decide to have a separate Hurri build. Or as I said, I wouldn't mind making a Stuka or a Flying Pencil instead for the BoB build !

Cheers,
BP.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2003 - 07:32 PM UTC
:-) Hi BP, I personally would be up for a Hurri group build as well as the BfB campaign. I can then build the Hurri I want to build and do my dio for the campaign. I think most, that want to build a Hurri will probably do for the campaign though. I suppose we could combine the 2? Don't know how that would work though. BP if you want to do a seperate Hurri group build, count me in. :-)
Mal
TwistedFate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2003 - 08:13 PM UTC
Me too, my decal sheet has another Hurri I want to build.
bytepilot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Karnataka, India / भारत
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2003 - 10:10 PM UTC
Hi Mal,

Just a suggestion. I don't know if everybody who is interested in a Hurri build would also like to plop in for a BoB build. This is b'cos not everybody would have any addnl sets like ground equipment/airfield sets/diorama expertise to complement the Hurri that they build.

As far as I can see, a BoB build as being envisaged by the ideas generated here are more to do with a diorama, and not an A/c build as such.

Like, if everybody said 'Yep, let's build a diorama around our plane corresponding to a scene from the BoB', then it becomes a diorama idea. On the other hand, if folks say 'I just wanna build a Hurri, I don't care what time it is in', then it would be a Hurri build.

So if you wanna build a diorama, IMHO, it belongs in the Diorama forum, and not as part of a A/c build. It's another thing if people make a Hurri for the build, and then at the last moment decide to plonk it down on an airfield. It can cut both ways !

Finally, after that long winded speech, my points are these:
1. Let's just go for a Hurri build for starters.
2. Any make, any theater, and era.
3. If you want, you can say either 1/72 or 1/48 or 1/32.

That way, we can stay focussed, and help others along the way. This was also the idea with which I kicked off the Luftwaffe build !

Cheers,
BP.
 _GOTOTOP