_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Tips & Techniques
Discussions on specific A/C building techniques.
Possible seam line solution?
BigPeteUK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 61 posts
AeroScale: 49 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 09:28 PM UTC
Hi all, in the process of building the monster that is my 1/32 F-15, I stumbled on a possible solution to those hard to reach seam lines. I only spotted it when building the intakes and exhaust nozzles for the bird recently. They come in two halves and when built, reveal a hideous seam line that on first glance looks impossible to remove without destroying the intricate detailing inside the nozzles in particular. Obviously filling and sanding was out of the question due to the raised detail inside so I had to conjour up an alternative.
I have some seamless aftermarket nozzles so thought I'd use the kit nozzles as guinea pigs. I glued them up as normal and in the seam lines i 'painted' correction fluid until dry, added a second coat in areas not quite 'filled'. Imagine my surprise that after priming the interior of the nozzles the seam lines are virtually undetectable and non reactive to the correction fluid. I painted over with the base colour acrylic and found no problems with where I'd filled and after some initial weathering the seams no longer exist.
I was wondering if anyone else has tried this at all, if not maybe worth a look for anyone facing similar difficulties. Once the intakes and nozzles are complete, I'll post piccies so you can judge for yourself whether this tip has any merit.

Check out the progress in pre-flight forum.
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,495 posts
AeroScale: 643 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 12:35 AM UTC
Hi Pete, I've been using the correction fluid as a seam filler for a few years and it does work really well in those difficult areas. The only thing to remember is to put it on in thin layers and make sure each layer is properly dried before adding another.
mj
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,331 posts
AeroScale: 325 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 03:11 AM UTC
Same here. "White-Out" is one of those great modeling tools you can find at work. Been using it for a few years now, and am very happy with the results I get from it.

Mike

BigPeteUK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 61 posts
AeroScale: 49 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 03:32 AM UTC
Just goes to show how much i have to pick up on tricks, detailing and painting. Now hoping my Eagle will make rapid progress
grandadjohn
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 33 posts
AeroScale: 27 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 05:01 AM UTC
Thanks for the tip, quess I'll need to go buy a bottle
Kriegshund
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 132 posts
AeroScale: 108 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 07:17 PM UTC
I would have never thought of trying correction fluid to fill seams, thanks for the tip.
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 588 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 08:20 PM UTC
So is it correction fluid followed by sanding or does it pretty much self level? I have one of those tricky spots I am dealing with right now too.
Thanks,
Leon
mj
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,331 posts
AeroScale: 325 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 12:06 AM UTC
I usually have a little sanding to do, but not much. I wouldn't call it self-leveling, but it isn't that thick where you have lumps sitting there. Try to find the applicator that has the little tri-angular sponge at the end. That one works the best for me.

Mike

_GOTOTOP