_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II: Great Britain
Aircraft of Great Britain in WWII.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
heller 1/72 spitfire XVIe (lots of pics!)
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Monday, January 29, 2007 - 03:26 AM UTC
well i've been tinkering with this since xmas, and have been taking in progress pics but due to one thing and another its only now i've got around to posting them. this kit is one i bought at telford 07 (yes its a queue jumper!) i also have this same kit in a spitfire box set with two decal options, the one in the heller kit and a nmf version so i will build both options eventually. the kit has raised panel lines and dodgy fit in some areas, notably the top of the engine and the wings to fusalage join. i wanted to build this as filler-less as possible, so as not to damage the raised lines, and as a practise for the nmf one that will have to be near perfect for alclad paints. that said the areas i had to fill had little or no lines so its looking nice and neat.
right heres the pics!

lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 03:44 AM UTC
Hi Phil.
This is the same Mk XVI thats included in the Airfix 70th Anniversary of the Spitfire box set.
Shame about the raised panel lines isnt it.Apart from that,it should build into a very accurate version of a Mk XVI!
Looking forward to seeing it progress
Nige
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 04:29 AM UTC
eh up nige! yeah its included in the box set with two sets of decals, and i like them both so i bought another kit. the other version is in nmf, and i seem to remember someone round here doing a real nice nmf P47 last year that has inspired me to pick up a couple of nmf kits
now what was the guys name.................
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 04:42 AM UTC
Hi Phill:

That Spitfire is looking good so far !
What did you use for primer ?
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 05:37 AM UTC
Really like that Spitefire, even though I am an american. My grandmother was British though on my fathers side does that count. Can't wait to see if done. Does it have a five blade prop? I thought that model did. Take care. Russell
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 05:38 AM UTC
I obviously need to learn how to spell Spitfire, not Spitefire. Sorry about that. Russell
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 07:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Really like that Spitefire, even though I am an american. My grandmother was British though on my fathers side does that count. Can't wait to see if done. Does it have a five blade prop? I thought that model did. Take care. Russell

Hi Rusell:

The Mk XVI is basically a late Mk IX with clipped wings with a US built Packard Merlin 266 engine (1720 HP) and the latter version has a tear drop canopie. It doesn´t have five bladeprop, like the Mk IX it has a four blade prop.
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 03:20 AM UTC
hi all! i too thought this had a five blade prop until i i had a proper look in the box!
carlos, the "primer" is simply humbrol 64, which is the colour for the underside, that i just decided to coat out the entire model in, cos it would body up the filling for the next colours to go on
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, February 12, 2007 - 04:09 AM UTC
heres an update on this one, i now have a set of a/m decals that are the same as the kit option, and i used my new toy for the first time! at the time of posting all the main painting is finished, and i'll give it a coat of kleer later. this new airbrush is real nice to use compared to my old aztec 470. the small valve under the nozzle controls the air, as well as being able to turn it up and down at the compressor, and let me touch up the odd bits of overspray with no trouble.
bring on luftwaffe nightfighter mottle!

SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Monday, February 12, 2007 - 12:33 PM UTC
It is looking good. It seems like you got those nasty wedges/holes filled on top of the engine. Nice work.
leon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 65 posts
AeroScale: 37 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 05:47 PM UTC
whats the stuff you use to mask off the paint area's? and where can ya buy it?

greetings
leon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 65 posts
AeroScale: 37 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 05:48 PM UTC

greetings
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 06:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I presume that Pritt's Sticky Tac.

It's basically white blue tac, but I like this better, as its slightly more flexible and pleasant to work with.
It should be available in book stores and other shops that sell office supplies.

Almonkey, nice looking spitfire you have there. Good work with an older kit.
 _GOTOTOP