Hosted by Rowan Baylis
New to Group..Need help on ME-109/G14
Frontovik
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 35 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Monday, January 29, 2007 - 06:14 AM UTC
I am usually an Armor modeller, but I met a very fascinating person this past weekend and want to model his Gustav. I talked with Lieutnant Gottfried Dulias who piloted a Gustav around the Budapest area until he was shot down in March '45. The illustration in his memoirs appears to show a green-based Camo pattern. He flew with JG.53. What would the proper scheme be? He related some interesting points about the Gustav.....he could never get used to the gun-site so he had his flight crewman remove it. He painted a black dot on the windscreen at point of aim and would get right on the tail of the prey and fire with his spinner mounted cannon. He had five confirmed kills. He loves his Gustav to this day. Thanks in advance for any help. I want to do this one "right"......Thanks...Bill Gibbs
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Monday, January 29, 2007 - 12:39 PM UTC
Hi Bill

Hmm, Mr. "Dulias" is a topic that is well discussed in special Luftwaffe discussion groups and AFAIK the whole story/person is a fraud. See e.g. here: (with further links ..... and there are more threads alone on that board alone):

http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=1947&highlight=Dulias

As you are no Luftwaffe nut, you might either build your model as you wish (and as he told you) or look for camouflage and markings of a real fighter pilot (there are more decals available than you can use in a lifetime ... )

I guess thats not the answer you wanted. HTH anyway.

best wishes

Steffen

_GOTOTOP