_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
This hobby can be stifled by too many ...
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 04:59 PM UTC
"This hobby can be stifled by too many rivet counters..."

I read this on another modeling site. While I confess to a certain amount of AMS and this is a personal choice for each modeler to make, should there not be a drive to improve one's skills even if marginally?

I am a large fan of scratchbuilding, kit crashing, photoetch and multimedia kits. I see nothing wrong with excelling beyond my limitations to build a better model than I did before. Even if it means better by a small percentage. I like to, learn new techniques, see others works listen to modelers talk about the hobby.

I do NOT expect anyone to measure up to my standards. Everyone should enjoy the hobby at their own level. There are those who want to grow. After all its not like eating Brussel Sprouts for cryin out loud. What say thee?
slodder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
AeroScale: 305 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 06:04 PM UTC
I think that getting stifled would be a personal thing, one persons stifle is another persons incentive or challenge.

I have seen a number of threads or discussions similar to this one and I think it opens up a forum for everyone to read and realize that there is a place for every skill level. I think everyone must find thier own comfort level both with building and posting/critiquing.

I don't consider myself a rivet counter. When I make a comment I am making it out of a desire to help someone else out with some constructive comments. I typically don't make comments unless someone asks.
Savage
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,405 posts
AeroScale: 97 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 11:06 PM UTC
I build models for myself, but I see ‘rivet counters’ & ‘rivet counting’ in general as a necessary evil in the hobby. These ‘rivet counters’ keep the manufacturers not only humble, but also as a direct result of their rivet counting, manufacturers are striving to do better.

Basically we have the excellent models we have today because someone has the courage to say to the almighty manufacturers, ‘you got it wrong!’
Kriegshund
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 132 posts
AeroScale: 108 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 11:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

"This hobby can be stifled by too many rivet counters..."

I would have to disagree with that statement. Feeling "stifled" would definitely have to be a personal choice. When you break it down, it is an avocation for the majority of us, not a vocation. It's a hobby, pure and simple. I admire and enjoy all the work of others. I consider myself to be on the lower end of the spectrum of skilled modellers. We all can learn from each other, and am grateful that there are people with far, far more knowledge of any particular subject than I posess. There is plenty of room for all of us, no matter what skill level. Maybe some shouldn't be so sensitive and just enjoy life?
jRatz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,171 posts
AeroScale: 151 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 07:50 AM UTC
It;s not "rivet counters" -- most of us are to one extent or another -- I am rather proud of my research skills (which exceed my modeling skills).

"Rivet counting" when applied helpfully (improve your own or anothers work) is a good thing. It's when someone takes that to the point of denigrating or demeaning someone else or their work, that it becomes a bad thing.

It is unfortunate that "rivet counting" has a bad connotation.

John
EdgarBrooks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 397 posts
AeroScale: 384 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 04:02 PM UTC
It's quite possible that the "rivet counter" term comes from the railway modelling fraternity, since some of their experts could, quite literally, tell you, if you'd put the wrong number on a tender, or engine. Judging by the numbers, that I have to negotiate, at model railway exhibitions, it certainly hasn't stifled that section of our hobby.
Edgar
wizard179
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 251 posts
AeroScale: 179 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 04:31 PM UTC
I think the stifling comes into effect when one's own quest for accuracy and improved skills is projected onto anothers level of interest in the same. Basically, it is ok to count your own rivets but understand that some just want a model that looks good on a shelf. There's plenty of room in this hobby for all of us...

Cheers
Wiz
hkshooter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 78 posts
AeroScale: 72 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 05:46 PM UTC
I believe what makes the difference between what I would call a rivet counter and just constructive critisism is the way the potential rivet counter conveys their opinion.
If one is humble while pointing out the area of concern, not attacking, and is sure to complement the build in some way then thats just a friendly someone pointing out an area for improvement.
If one communicates their opinion in a degrading, unfriendly and unprofessional, disrespecting way that's what I would call a rivet counter.
I, too, believe that we all want to represent our builds with a certain amount of accuracy but I would stop short of calling us rivet counters. I reserve that title for those a little ( a lot?) more "passionate" about the accuracy of the subject.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 06:10 PM UTC
Well, I am a rivet counter on some subjects while other subjects are just build for the fun of it. Most of the time it should just look right. No problem if a rivet is missing there or the hull is 1 mm too short.

There should be room for anybody in the hobby. We are seeing way to few beginners pictures and way to few pictures from us average modellers. I post pictures of my models - knowing very well that they do not reach the standard of other models made by experts. However, we should all be part of the hobby and very rarely will people speak badly about your model. So get out and post some pictures.
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Monday, February 05, 2007 - 12:31 AM UTC
build models to please yourself, i honestly think its that simple. i would label myself as an enthusiastic amateur compared to some on this site, that said, any critisisms i'vd had here were made in a spirit of helpfulness and i can take them on board, and i am building better models.
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
AeroScale: 836 posts
Posted: Monday, February 05, 2007 - 05:22 AM UTC
I've always felt that there was no right or wrong way to enjoy this hobby.
Some people love doing the research more than the building.
Some people love the building more than the research.
My personal feelings are "Am I enjoying this or not?" If yes, than continue, if not then find another past time.
If it wasn't for the rivet counters in the early days, we all would still be building metallic red 109's! :-)
 _GOTOTOP