Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Airfix P51-D 1/48 a great surprise!!
HunterCottage
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,717 posts
AeroScale: 139 posts
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2003 - 08:11 AM UTC
I've just gotten back from Spring Break, where I finally did some modelling!!!!

My son and I wanted to build while at Grandma and Grandpa's place. He didn't have any models to build so I bought an Airfix P51-D (Series 5) and Italeri F/A-18 Super Hornet for him. Both great 1/48 kits, but I was extremely pleased with the Airfix model - it was simply brilliant!! Brilliant was the only word I could find for the piece. Great detail, and I mean great in every sence of the word. I was expecting a typical Airfix but this was way over Airfix general makes. Great price too... I'm gonna pick up two more of the kits and build them myself!!!
Bombshell
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 293 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2003 - 08:35 AM UTC
The Airfix kit is actually a reboxing of the Arii Mustang. It is indeed a nice kit, maybe not as comprehensively detailed as the Tamiya or Hasegawa Mustang, but not as expensive as those either. Besides that, the outline is accurate and the detail that is there is good. This is true of many other Arii kits. An with the low prices you can go crazy and build as many as you want.

Cheers,

CDT Reimund Manneck
U.S. Army ROTC
HunterCottage
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,717 posts
AeroScale: 139 posts
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2003 - 04:40 PM UTC
I've understood that Airfix has gotten wiser and have bought up several toolings...great move I think. The detail that Tamiya or others have really wasn't the issue, it was that Mustang look that was wanted, can't beat it for the price here. I can promise that I will be building several of them in times to come!!
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 08:58 AM UTC
:-) I have this ex Arii Airfix boxing of the P51. I hope to start building it soon, I want to practice my foiling techniques on it. I agree it is a nice kit :-)
Mal
 _GOTOTOP