_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
LFG Roland C.II
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 04:48 AM UTC
Greetings all;
One of Eduard's newest offerings is the their popular LFG Roland C.II in a weekend box edition. The single set of markings were first used in their basic kit #8040. This is their 6th box variation.

Eduard comments, "...The Roland C.II is a new member of the WEEKEND edition , which is turning into a bigger success than we anticipated. For this reason, we will continue with this line in the near future..."

For references on the Roland C.II, I suggest;

Scale Aviation Modeler Reviews the Blue Max kit.
Profile #163, Profile Publications Ltd.by Mr. Pete Grosz.
Datafile 49, Windsock Publications Ltd.by Mr. Ray Rimell
Roland’s Mighty Whale, Aviation News Vol.14, #2 by Colin Owers.
The Benighted Rolands, Air Enthusiast Quarterly #3.by Dan San Abbott with editing by the late Peter Grosz.

Colouring;
Concerning the use of “violet”or “mauve”. These colors did not come into use until the late summer early fall of 1917 with the Albatros aircraft. Basic colors extended to aircraft use on upper surfaces, appear to be dark green, light green, chestnut brown or the “venetian “ red brown. The Roland C.II and C.IIa types served from March 1916 until June 1917 either in front line units or as in most later cases in training units. So the use of violet can be precluded. The Eduard “Express Masks” work well but must be well burnished to the edges for a crisp demarcation. Allowing the paint to dry between applications keeps runs to a minimum. Few of the WWI German tires had large amounts of carbon black in their makeup. Various shades of grey would be appropriate with a generous wash of dust or earth in the crevices.

Two variations on a theme
Roland built.

Linke- Hoffman built

I will have a kit review on the Roland C.II available on my website by the end of February 2007.
Kriegshund
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 132 posts
AeroScale: 108 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 06:05 AM UTC
Thanks for the update, I will be looking forward to the kit & to your review.
Percheron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 432 posts
AeroScale: 360 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 12:46 PM UTC
More and more these WWI kits are interesting me. They are from such a daring part of aircraft history. My LHS has quite a few of the Roden kits. I may have to pick one up and thanks for the info!

-Derek
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 12:19 PM UTC
JRatz has pointed out an interesting Faux Paux on the Eduard box art for this kit. Ooops!
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 12:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

JRatz has pointed out an interesting Faux Paux on the Eduard box art for this kit. Ooops!

was it a daring escape from behind enemy lines in a stolen german aircraft?
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 04:53 AM UTC
Greetings all I was asked recently about the different cowling louvres on some Roland C.II types.

The term “Mercedes 160 hp” was generic to possibly seven variations of the motor fitted to the Roland C.II and C.IIa types. The variations of components fitted to the basic engine determined where vents were fitted to the fuselage at the factory assembly level Daimler the parent company would buy from suppliers who could provide “x” number of air, fuel, oil or water pumps, “y” number of carburetors or “z” number of magnetos. Each production run (or “batch”) of these components could have alterations or “improvements.” These changes could tend to alter the ultimate attitude or location on the basic motor so the vent locations were altered to provide optimum cooling for components that generated heat and or fumes. This portion of WWI aviation research is still in its infancy. Hopefully some one will do resin castings for the possibility of better matching model profiles to photo evidence.
 _GOTOTOP