Modern aircraft of the United States.
PC-6 Porter completed
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 05:09 AM UTC
Here is my latest; something out of the ordinary for me. It is a USAFSOC (USAF Special Operations Command) PC-6 Pilatus Porter on a remote strip in a distant land. I could tell you more, but then I would have to kill you all. :-) :-)

It is the 1/72 High Planes Models kit, out of Australia. It was a pretty nice build for a limited run, multimedia kit. It has injected wings and fuselage, resin prop and exhausts, metal struts, PE for the antennae and steps, vac-formed canopy and doors, etc. The fuselage is molded with all the glass in place, so you have to cut each one out and then replace them with the vac-formed ones. I made the aux fuel tanks out of thick plastic rod. The decals are custom made as well using computer decal paper.

Here it is:

More here.

Special thanks to Sabot for providing the 1/72 gear and weapons for this project.
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 05:27 AM UTC
Real sharp looking Gino, looks like a nice little kit, a little bit of everything. I won’t ask as I’m not looking forward to be zeroed in :-) What colors did you use overall. Looks like something from the SOARS…

Ok I’m going to ask, is this used like the glider were during WWII bringing in troops quietly...

Joe
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 05:37 AM UTC
Thanks Joe. Color is MM Gunship Gray with Dark Gull Gray drybrush, and then drybrushed with the Gunship Gray again. Yup, similar technique to what I used on my MH-60L DAP.

I trust you have your security clearance up to date.... ...You got the mission right too. They have been used since the Vietnam war by US Spec Ops to quietly go places where we don't want people to know that we are there. It is the same aircraft that was seen in the movie Air America.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 03:25 PM UTC
Great work on an unusual subject - for me at least.

Thanks for sharing
ti
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dalarnas, Sweden
KitMaker: 2,264 posts
AeroScale: 14 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 07:09 PM UTC
Really nice gino. As always, a darn fine job.
mark197205
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,593 posts
AeroScale: 5 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 11:32 PM UTC
Very nice work Gino, the Gunship Grey is a real perfect colour for this little Spec-Ops bird.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
AeroScale: 287 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 01:08 AM UTC
Very nice plane, but I disavow all knowledge of any such missions, real or imaginary.
AH1Wsnake
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 33 posts
AeroScale: 12 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 02:12 AM UTC
Great little project, Gino.
Can you explain how you did the groundwork? Looks nice and simple, yet very convincing from the photos.

Andy
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 02:51 AM UTC
Thanks Andy. The groundwork was pretty simple. I stain and seal the board first. They I tape off the edges. I coat the groundwork area with a thick layer of Elmer's wood glue, covering it evenly. I then sprinkled on some Woodland Scenics Snow for the sand. After it had set up a few minutes, I scratched the road outline into in and flattened out the road surface a bit. Once it was fully dried, I sanded the road area to smooth it even more. I them spray painted the road black, and the sandy area sand, allowing some overspray to go onto the road. Then I drybrushed various shades of gray and sand on the road, and different shades of sand in the sandy area. The bushes are moss for railroad layouts. I glued them down then drybrushed it with various greens and sands. That is about it.
 _GOTOTOP