_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
Tamiya Skyraider colours?
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 07:43 PM UTC
I've just bought the Tamiya 1/48 Skyraider for the Vietnam campaign and I'm confused with the colours for the Air Force 3 tone camo (SEA?) scheme. The instructions call out for the following Tamiya Spray colours AS-13, AS-14, AS-15 and AS-16 but i cant find any conversion for the colours. Can any tell me the colours in either FS, (normal) Tamiya acrylics or Xtracolor
stugiiif
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
AeroScale: 403 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 10:23 PM UTC
Well, alan thats Tamiya trying to market their spraypaint line. But If the bird was Navy the FS Numbers are FS36440 Flat Gull Grey over flat white with a black anti-glare panel on the nose. For Navy and Marine aircraft of the period the Gull Grey is the only hing realy neding the FS spec for modeling. USAF birds are a different story colors being for SEA: Green FS34102, Dark Green 34079 and Tan 30219 with Gray FS 36622 on the underside. That was standard for most USAF aircraft in Vietnam. though some had a blck underside instead of the grey. HTH STUG
Easy_Co
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,933 posts
AeroScale: 89 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 12:34 AM UTC
Allen if you dont mind using enamels try White Ensign they have all the U.S. colours for S.E.A. I just got them and I have read some good reviews on this site.hope this helps
Bigskip
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,487 posts
AeroScale: 575 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 12:48 AM UTC
Allen

Humbrol 116, 117 and 118 are good for the SEA scheme - if in doubt try IPMS Stockholm for advice

Good to meet you at the weekend, hope we can get together at another show b4 Telford.

Andy
propboy44256
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
AeroScale: 285 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 01:29 AM UTC
Does anybody know the model master equivalent color names to the USAF version. I.E. Green, Dark Green and Tan?

Quoted Text

Well, alan thats Tamiya trying to market their spraypaint line. But If the bird was Navy the FS Numbers are FS36440 Flat Gull Grey over flat white with a black anti-glare panel on the nose. For Navy and Marine aircraft of the period the Gull Grey is the only hing realy neding the FS spec for modeling. USAF birds are a different story colors being for SEA: Green FS34102, Dark Green 34079 and Tan 30219 with Gray FS 36622 on the underside. That was standard for most USAF aircraft in Vietnam. though some had a blck underside instead of the grey. HTH STUG

propboy44256
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
AeroScale: 285 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 01:35 AM UTC
Never mind, I found it. If you are using MM enamels

FS34102 green = MM Medium Green
FS34079 D. Green = MM Dark Green
FS30219 TAn = MM Dark Tan
FS36622 Grey = camofalge grey

Quoted Text

Does anybody know the model master equivalent color names to the USAF version. I.E. Green, Dark Green and Tan?

Quoted Text

Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 03:57 AM UTC
Thanks for all the help I had pretty much worked out the top colours but every where I looked the underside was stated as black Thanks for the link Andy I had already tried the site and they said the same thing. Hopefully i can get this started once I've finished my P-47 for the downlow campaign.

It was nice to finally meet some of the Bulldogs at the weekend. The only other shows we might be doing is Doncaster, Newark and Telford this year, but that might change
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 06:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for all the help I had pretty much worked out the top colours but every where I looked the underside was stated as black

Hi Allen!

I cannot add so much, as the others gave excellent answers.

Just remember that some birds got a wrap-around cammo later in the war, as the light underside gave them away when flying low over the jungle.

I can´t remember a Skyraider in this scheme, most had light grey or black undersides, but you´ll never know!
Phantoms, Super Sabres and Thuds are common in wrap-around, though.

With no need to hide the aircrafts on the ground and flying a short time over land The Navy never cared much about their camouflage effect!

Cheers!

Stefan E
 _GOTOTOP