A little help needed with Fw-190 landing gear
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 02:43 PM UTC
Hello all luftwaffe (and '190' in particular) experts,

I'm now building my second 1:48 Focke wulf. The first was dragon's A4, now Trimaster's orginal boxing of D9.
Last time I didn't know (or didn't care) about the issues with the landing gear. Being the version with white metal gear legs (dragon lenghthened in plastic, with nothing done to the drag links, leading to them being too short), there shouldn't be too much problems with the u/c.
I did quick search and found these two articles:

http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/fw190landinggear_1.htm
http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/fw190landinggear_2.htm

Well, the problem with Trimaster's parts is mainly the strut, which needs some material removed from the back edge of the leg so it fits into the socket in the wheel well like it's supposed to. Done. The legs fit fine now.
I then turned my attention to the drag links, which don't appear to fit all. Of course I didn't check those two articles earlier and didn't thin the wheel well roof, but filing the drag link solved that problem.
The drag is straight and fits to a socket in the wheel well wall (say that fast three times! :-) so that it ends up in a right angle to the wing. If the landing gear isn't modified, the drag link connects to the leg with no problems, but now it's angled so it doesn't either reach it at all, or fits at an angle as well, leaving ugly gaps.
Judging from the pics in the two articles mentioned above and what I've managed to find on the internet, the drag link's electric motor should be right against the wheel well wall, not tilted anywhere.
Looking at the pics in article no.1, the drag link's arm was hinged at two points. At the middle to allow the gear to retract upwards, and at the bottom near the motor to allow for the forward rake the langing gear. Pic here
But second article dealing with fixing the kits' issues doesn't mention anything about angling the drag link. But dryfitting the part results in the arm pointing up, not anywhere near the angle of the gear leg.
So the question is this, is my proble simply solved by bending the drag link's arm at the bottom so it connects to the landing gear leg, or is something else needed?
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Friday, February 16, 2007 - 08:29 PM UTC
I got the problem figured out by myself. Thanks for looking, though.
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,707 posts
AeroScale: 1,119 posts
Posted: Friday, February 16, 2007 - 08:39 PM UTC
Darn! :-) You won't be needing this link then Eetu?
The Focke-Wulf 190 in Detail
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Friday, February 16, 2007 - 11:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Darn! :-) You won't be needing this link then Eetu?
The Focke-Wulf 190 in Detail

A good link, I stumbled upon it while doing my search.

Strange that those comprehensive two articles in my first post didn't mention that the electric motor powering the drag link sits at an angle against the wheel well wall. No pics I came across showed this.
I compared the trimaster parts to the ones in Eduard's A8, and there the drag link has a slight angle in it where it attaches to the wheel well.
Gluing in a piece of styrene sheet, a little filing and bending the drag link arms solved the problem.
 _GOTOTOP