_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Favorite Brand: A poll of sorts
Percheron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 432 posts
AeroScale: 360 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 02:03 AM UTC
Hi all,

Since there are so many models brands out there I though it might be helpful for newbies like me to get an idea of what brands (complete plastic kits) are your favorite. I realize that sometimes it varies a bit, or a lot, but overall the most accurate/fun build and why. I'll start:

Italeri: I just like the feel of their plastic, I have not built their aircraft yet, although I just bought their V-22 and it looks like it will be good.

Hesegawa: Great detail, lots of fun and huge selection, though their Stuka I built was not easy.

Eduard: I have not started on the Aircobra for the "Down Low" yet, but my goodness, so much is included, and what a value!

-Derek
Tojo72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
AeroScale: 238 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 02:23 AM UTC
If you are someone like me who doesnt like to correct a lot of fit problems and deal witha lot of difficulties in construction,then go with Hasegawa and Tamiya,with a few exceptions I find the kits practically fall together.
Call me lazy but I just want to build something out of the box with minimum problems.

ps I am going to try a Trumpeter 1/48 Wyvern next,we will see how it goes.
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 08:02 AM UTC
Percheron,
I have found that Tamiya builds the most "fuss free" kits thus far. They have more than enough detail for most modelers and the fit and finish is wonderful.
A close second in my opinion is Hasegawa. My first 5 or 6 aircraft kits were Hasegawa, and after all the sanding, filling, fit problems, etc. I actually hatted Hasegawa kits. After learning many tricks of the trade from various people here at Aeroscale though, I find that I enjoy Hasegawa kits more and more.
Italeri, Academy, Trumpeter, etc. They all have their good and bad points. With practice and patience, pretty much any kit can be built into a fine model
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 588 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 09:19 AM UTC
Derek,
Personally, I really like Tamiya. I know there are people who are anti-tamiya saying that they are too easy and too expensive, but I believe if you want a challenge with them you can add elements, do a conversion, etc. and if you just want a nice enjoyable out of box build you can do that too with their kits. Hasegawa are also really nice depending on the kit. I think the trick is to read some reviews and compare the info learned from those to the experience you are wanting to get out of the build.

BTW, Where in Washington are you? If you are at all near Seattle, there is a large modeling display at the museum of flight this weekend. I can't make it, but at the IPMS club meeting last week they were talking about it and it sounds like a lot of them (with a lot of models) are planning on bringing their stuff to display. Here's a link with description: http://www.museumofflight.org/Display.asp?Page=VisCal&trumbaEmbed=view%3Devent%26eventid%3D49179250

Leon
Percheron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 09:36 AM UTC
Great info guys!

I know a poll like this is very subjective, like asking why a man likes a Chevrolet versus a Ford (or BMW vs. Mercedes for my Euro friends). The only Tamiya kits I've built are armor, but when I get my stash built down I will grab a few.

BTW Leon, I'm a few miles outside of Gig Harbor and thanks for the link for the show. If anyone reading this gets to the Seattle area, the Museum of Flight is worth the time! A truly world class place.

-Derek
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,707 posts
AeroScale: 1,119 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 12:15 PM UTC
Errmmmmm.....HELLOOOO!! Chevrolet VS Ford??? CHRYSLER!!! :-) :-)
Gonna try trumpeter too at some point in the future and......
Percheron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 02:27 PM UTC
Oh no Jan, you're not one of THOSE? a Dodge?

Daimler/Chrysler. You know how they say Daimler/Chrysler in Germany?

Daimler, the Chrysler is silent.

-Derek
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 03:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If you are someone like me who doesnt like to correct a lot of fit problems and deal witha lot of difficulties in construction,then go with Hasegawa and Tamiya,with a few exceptions I find the kits practically fall together.
Call me lazy but I just want to build something out of the box with minimum problems.

Welcome to my world. That is how I fell as well. I can also recommend Eduard in addition to Hasegawa and Tamiya. Eduard has a lot of detail, but in general the fit is ok on the few I have build.
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
AeroScale: 1,164 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 07:41 PM UTC
I could go on and on with this thread. For ease of fit, Tamiya. For plain ole' fun, the older monogram kits. Their A-10 is still the best out there in my book. Raised lines and all. I did a comparative build between Hasegawa and Tamiya on the N1K1 George kits. Tamiya was extremely easy to build. The Hasegawa kit had more parts, and a more complex assembly sequence. Detail was about equal with both.....see what I mean about being abor to go on, and on....? "Q"
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 01:14 AM UTC
Hi all!

My favourite brand?

Hmmm......

It´s like trying between different sorts of food/candy/music/car, whatever!

It really depends on the mood, my experience, or what I´m after for the moment.

But I´ll give it a try, here we go;

For 1/48 scale kits;

For an easy, well detailed build, no (nasty) surprises; Tamiya or Hasegawa, hands down.

For well detailed builds;
Trumpeter, Eduard, Italeri, Dragon

For pure fun; Revell/Monogram/Italeri

For those subjects on the more odd side;

Classic Airframes, MPM, Azur, Mirage, Checz Models, Special Hobby

Not so fun; Airfix/Minicraft

For big scale (1/32) kits;

Tamiya, Trumpeter, Academy and new Hasegawa is the best.
Hasegawa have some (very much) older, not-so-good kits, but they are the only game in town (so far).

Azur (Dewiotine 520, I-16), Special Hobby (Buffalo) for odd subjects.
Sorry, Jean-Luc but the Dewiotine IS really odd! :-)

Revell 1/32, only for nostalgia!

As you can see here, I have a hard time choosing....

Mostly it boils down to what catches my interest, what I want to build next.
If I see a beautiful or interesting subject i want to build I search for a kit, get it and build it.
What "category" it belongs to doesn´t really matter, If i can find a kit does.

But if a subject is kitted by two different brands?

Well, Both Trumpeter and CA did the Wyvern, I got the Trumpeter kit as that had some better details, was cheaper and easier to build.

On the other hand I choosed the CA SM79 over the Trumpeter, for the better, more accurate detail!

Now Trumpeter will release a Seahawk, will that be better then my CA kit?

So many decisions!

Cheers!

Stefan E
propboy44256
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
AeroScale: 285 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 05:43 PM UTC
I always thought the revell-mongram kits were the best for there price.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 09:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I always thought the revell-mongram kits were the best for there price.

This is one of the reasons why this duskussion is "für'n Arsch" (~useless)

Every manufacturer has older and newer molds and among them are great kits and bad kits. Also some have great kits for their type production process (e.g. the "lovely" Classic Airframes, MPM, Special Hobby, Azur, Sword ... Kits .. which are mold-wise the same manufacturer) or just great subjects though the model as such is mediocre.

New Revell kits can stand up against Tamigawa very well. All molds that were done in Korea (1/48 Do 217 and Ju 52 come to mind).. some of the chinese stuff is crapp but there is also good stuff

SO ask for which manufacturer does the best Farley Fruitbat Mk.Vx, but do not ask which manufacturer is the best ...

best wishes

Steffen

@ Rowan ... you see, again I could not keep out of fruitless conversations ... doh

_GOTOTOP