Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Hasegawa 109G Decals
Octo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 19 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 10:37 AM UTC
First off I'd like to say hello to everyone. This is my first post here, but I'm not entirely new to the site. I've been coming here the past couple of months for reference, and so far have not needed to ask any questions in the forums.

On to the topic at hand, I recently purchased two Hasegawa 109 kits from my LHS. The first kit I got was a 109G-4 with 'Hartmann' markings, apparently this is a special version according to the box. When I opened the box and examined the decals I was a little disappointed to see that all of the white areas of the decals are pretty yellow. To be more precise they are off white, like an aged white.

Just today I picked up another Hasegawa 109 this time a G-6 with the 'Eyeball' markings. When I looked at the decals of this kit I noticed the same thing, off white, so I'm left to conclude that this is not a mistake.

My question then is the off white accurate, or not? Also I'd like to know if anybody else has experienced this, and if so what did they do? Do the decals really come out this color when applied? If I do use the kit decals will I have to try and match the white I use for the spinner and rudder with the decal colors?

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, I'm just curious about this because I have yet to see any gallery pics of Hasegawa 109's with the same color decals as what I have gotten stuck with.

Also I'm sorry this post came out pretty long.

Thanks in advance for any, and all help.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 04:08 PM UTC
It sounds strange that the white part of the markings should be off white/yellowish. I have just researched quite a few colour profiles and pictures of 109 Gustavs for my tank buster campaign build. On colour profiles and in most pictures the markings seem to be "real" white.

Maybe the markings in pictures are weathered along with the rest of the aircraft, but that should not be included in the markings as I see it.

I have a Hs 129 from Hasegawa in my stash. The markings seemed fine and they are not off white/yellowish.

I have earlier tried off white/yellowish markings, but not from Hasegawa. They always turn out off white/yellowish after they are applied.

Maybe Steffen or Eatu will be of more help.
wizard179
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 251 posts
AeroScale: 179 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 04:29 PM UTC
I recently built the 1/48 Hasegawa G-4 but used aftermarket decals. The kit I used was the Regia Aeronautica and the "white" markings in that also were off-white and they were definitely not aged as the carrier film was clear.

The aftermarket decals I used were bright white and to be honest they do stand out a bit so maybe this is an attempt by Hasegawa to tone down the affect of white markings on a weathered background. Personally, I think its a bit overdone but would be interested to see it on a finished model to see the overall affect.

I just remembered Jean-Luc completed the Hasegawa 1/32 G-4 "Hartmann" for the Duel in the Sky campaign, i think that he used the kit decals. They look yellowish in the original kit picture as well but on the plane they look good... see the link for a comparison between the kit markings and my aftermarket white markings. Duel Campaign

Cheers
Wiz
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 05:23 PM UTC
Hi guys

Hasegawas decals are seldom really white, where they should be. Also decals age over the time (if not protected) the "yellowing" is one of those signs.

What to do: take a bit of Tamiya tape and attach the decal sheet to a window with direct sunlight (from the inside, the decals facing outwards) .. two or three days make it all "shiny"

Caution: If the decals are really old they might get brittle. ..

Another hint: Some use a plastic bag to protect the decals.

HTH

cheers

Steffen
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 06:19 PM UTC
I dug out a couple of Hasegawa kits from my stash and it seems like their decals have that ivory color for white (these are all from the '90's, I don't know about more recently issued kits).
I compared decals from a G2 (1991) and G14 (1997), and the 'white' is a similar ivory color. The carrier films on both hasn't yellowed so I suspect the printed colors haven't either.
Then I checked the sheet in a Fiat G50 kit. From year 1994 and printed by Cartograph. Bright, brilliant white. No problems here.

The problem (if you want to call it that) seems to be Hasegawa's own decals (at least from that era where my kits are from) having an off-white color. Without yellowing they will probably looks just fine in a slightly (more or less) weathered warbird, but could pose a problem if you want to have a clean showroom finish.
Octo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 19 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 06:49 PM UTC
Thank you for the feedback guys. So it does seem that the off white color is intentional on Hasegawa's part.

Steffen I think I will try your suggestion and see how it goes.

Wiz thanks for the link, I looked at Jean-Luc's build, which is the same kit as I have. It's hard to tell, but his decals seem to be a little more white then mine.

I really like the markings from this kit they are a little unusual so I think I'm going to go ahead and give them a try. I think you guys are right in that it should look better on a weathered plane.

I'm a slow builder, and I'm pretty new to the hobby so I'm not up to the level you guys are. However if you're interested I'll post some pictures of the build when it is completed.

Thanks again for the help.

Sean
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 08:04 PM UTC
Well, I would like to see pictures as you move along with your project.

I am not up to the standards of many of the guys here, but it is a hobby and not a competition, so have fun and share your project.
ladymodelbuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,218 posts
AeroScale: 424 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 06:14 AM UTC
After reading this thread I had to check the 109's in my stash. As it would be.... I have a Bf109 G-6 "Hartmann" kit here that was released in 1997. Yes, the white part of the decals were kind of white-ish yellow.
I guess that I'll have to bleach them out before I build the kit...

That is a real bummer !!!!

_GOTOTOP