_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Gather Round Fellow Builders!
chip250
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,864 posts
AeroScale: 410 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 08:45 PM UTC
Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

Please Read:

This weekend my dad and I went to OshKosh, Wisconsin to see the EAA Museum. We stayed over Friday night then went Saturday to the museum. After we got the hotel, we went to get something to eat. We then went to the local deli where I decided to make a move on the college girl that was making the sandwiches (she had a guy friend already, found that out the hard way).

After that we went to the hobby shop near by. We looked around, and got some planes then left. He also bought an issue of Fine Scale Modeller. In that issue was something that caught my attention. Someone wrote in and basically said " how many bf-109s and Tiger tanks do we have to look at."

He has a point. In my opinion the 109 is a nice plane to look at, and a joy to build. But wouldn't people be more happy building something that isn't plastered everywhere, in every mag. and in every website?

How many 1/48 scale PBM Mariners do you see that aren't vac-formed or resin? Has anyone ever seen a Short Sunderland in 48 scale, besides the one that is over 100 bucks.

I think that people would be more apt to building scale models if there were more of a selection at an affordable price. I understand that the little producers need to make money and sell products, but is it possible for large scale producers to make the same product for less?

Yesteryears are gone, the art of walking down to the local five-and-dime and picking up a kit for a couple of bucks are gone in most places, but it shouldn't disappear forever. People, especially kids and young adults should be able to go down to the local hobby shop and purchase a quality kit that is differant from the next, without the person having to pay for it with their gold caps on their teeth.

I think that the hobby should have more selection and be priced less, because it would be a shame to one day see a whole shelf filled with differant scale ME-109s.

Please resond, I am interested to hear your views!

Thank you for your time!

:-)
TwistedFate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 805 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 05:39 AM UTC
First let me say I agree with what you say. I would love to see affordable kits that are of uncommon subjects.

Now, to the nitty gritty. In order for a mass market model to be produced there needs to be a market for it. The company needs to know that it is worth the time and money to develop such a product. So until there is a great demand for a 1:48 PBM Mariner you won't see one from a major producer, unfortunately. You see tons of 109's because that is what sells. It's not because there isn't a choice, but because that is the choice that's made.

As far as pricing goes, sure models are expensive, but so is everything. You used to be able to buy a new car for about $1000, now there are very few for under $10,000. I feel the prices have gone up in proportion to to everything else. I pay a LOT more now than I did when I was younger because I am buying higher quality kits, but the lower quality kits are right on par to me.

Modeling is declining for many reasons, most dealing with the troubles getting younger people involved. Video games, why build a static model when you can play an interactive fantasy? TV is more popular and with a gazillion channels to choose from, why do something difficult when you can sit there and be force fed? The internet and chat rooms, why do a solo activity when you act a like a jerk/post your views in near anonymity?

Want to help increase the popularity of modeling? Here is a simple idea. I don't know if they do this in other countries so it may not apply. When you see Angel Trees or anything like that to bring gifts for needy children. PIck up one of those all-in-one kits with the glue, paint, brushes in one box and hand it over. Congratulations you've just passed on the hobby. My suggestion is getting a car kit over say a tank or aircraft. Car's appeal more to kids because they are more prevelant and easily seen. They may not understand the historical significance of a Panzer or Spitfire.
 _GOTOTOP