_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
best phantom kit ?
Hightower
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 66 posts
AeroScale: 12 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 05:37 AM UTC
Hello everyone. I have not built an airplane kit at all, I have only done armor for about two years. Saw the f 16 cj block 50 tamiya kit, but about $200 Cdn is too steep. Looking for something with great cockpit detail maybe 1/32 scale ? Which Phantom kit would do ?
Thanks and cheers eh ?
ladymodelbuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,218 posts
AeroScale: 424 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 06:24 AM UTC
Hello Hightower,
I am currently working on a 1/48 F-4G Phantom II "Wild Weasel" that was made by Hasegawa. The kit number is 09672. I paid about $39 US. I have really enjoyed building the kit. I haven't had any problems with it as far as seams or fit. The only thing is just the usual ejector pin marks. I also purchased a set of E-Z Masks for the kit. The company that has these canopy masks is located there in Ontario Canada.

I would recommend this kit.....

Removed by original poster on 02/15/07 - 09:32:21 (GMT).
Bigskip
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,487 posts
AeroScale: 575 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 01:39 PM UTC
Sterling.

I have to agree with Penny - the Hasegawa 1:48 phantoms are great, fit is good and details are excellent. However mothers offer seems very good, too good to turn up is funds are available. I can confirm that he is a well respected member of the site.

Andy
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 03:31 PM UTC
Hi Sterling!

For a F-4 in 1/48, the Hasegawa Phantom family is the very best and they are easy builds.
These kits share many common parts (and sprues), but they are very good.
If you find a Phantom in a Revell box, It´s the Hasegawa plastic inside!
These kits are pure bargains as they usually sell for less then half the Hase prices, and you´ll get better decals.

In 1/32 It´s the Tamiya kits, hands down.
The Revell kits are cheap and not so bad, but much less detailed and not so accurate as Tamiya.

If I had lived in the US, I had jumped at Joe´s offer, It´s good so just take it (and Joe´s a good guy!)!

Cheers!

Stefan E
 _GOTOTOP