What is the 1/72 airfix stuka kit like?
andy007
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,088 posts
AeroScale: 74 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 12:25 PM UTC
hi everyone
iam thinking of doing the battle of britain build and would like to do the stuka and was wondering what is the 1/72 airfix stuka like?
Ian2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 97 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 09:09 PM UTC
I've built it a couple of times in the past and have another that I'm working on.

Bear in mind that this kit dates from the 1970s, so cockpit detail is rudimentary, though the crew figures hide this to a degree. Rivets abound on fuselage and wings and you may have to fill the join seam on the wing's underside. The air intake will need reshaping to a circular section, easliy done.

The wings will need care in attaching, in order that the dihedral is constant - my first attempt all those years ago looked a bit wonky when viewed from the front.

Markings are for an aircraft of StG 2 Immelman, which was present in the early stages of the BoB, though the upper surfaces are all one colour, I think the standard two tone splinter camouflage would have been more usual.

Other than that, it's a nice kit to assemble and looks the part when complete. I would say, give one a try as the price isn't prohibitive.
Byrden
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,233 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 10:05 PM UTC
There are THREE stukas in this scale from Airfix!

The first one was tooled in the 1950s and is terrible! It hasn't been produced since the late 70s. The artwork looks at the place from the left, slightly behind and below.

Two new Stukas kits were tooled at the same time, around 1977. They were practically the same kit, but one of them was simplified - it had no joystick for the pilot, the wheels did not rotate, etc. The artwork of this simplified kit shows the airplane from the front, with a red sky behind it.

The instructions and sprues of the simpified kit are designed to fit in a blister pack. It seems they intended this to be a Series 1 kit to keep the kiddies happy. But blister packs were dropped before its release, and it appeared as a Series 2 kit. Its brother, the full-featured Stuka kit, appeared as a Series 3. It had options to build either the B or R versions.

I think the B/R version is the one currently in the Airfix range. But the simplified one was issued within the last 10 years, so watch out.

David
Ian2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 11:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

There are THREE stukas in this scale from Airfix!

The first one was tooled in the 1950s and is terrible! It hasn't been produced since the late 70s. The artwork looks at the place from the left, slightly behind and below.

Two new Stukas kits were tooled at the same time, around 1977. They were practically the same kit, but one of them was simplified - it had no joystick for the pilot, the wheels did not rotate, etc. The artwork of this simplified kit shows the airplane from the front, with a red sky behind it.

The instructions and sprues of the simpified kit are designed to fit in a blister pack. It seems they intended this to be a Series 1 kit to keep the kiddies happy. But blister packs were dropped before its release, and it appeared as a Series 2 kit. Its brother, the full-featured Stuka kit, appeared as a Series 3. It had options to build either the B or R versions.

I think the B/R version is the one currently in the Airfix range. But the simplified one was issued within the last 10 years, so watch out.

David

Mine is the simplified version. I remember the R variant in the shops but never made one myself.
Byrden
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,233 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 01:06 AM UTC
Thanks to buying bunches of kits off Ebay, I have all three of the kits...

Ian2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 01:24 AM UTC
I agree that the old Airfix Stuka doesn't cut the mustard anymore, but doubtless was adequate for its day. I notice that when Revell did those 1/144 fighters several years back that their Stuka was virtually identical to the Airfix one.
 _GOTOTOP