_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
Mig-21 Exhaust Cone Bluing?
oleander13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 30 posts
AeroScale: 28 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 05:50 PM UTC
Does anyone know if the Mig 21 had any noticeable bluing of the exhaust cone? I'm working on a 1/48 Academy Mig-21 MF and I think I may have overdone the bluing. I'll try to get a picture up later, but in the meantime, any advice is appreciated.
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2007 - 05:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Does anyone know if the Mig 21 had any noticeable bluing of the exhaust cone? I'm working on a 1/48 Academy Mig-21 MF and I think I may have overdone the bluing. I'll try to get a picture up later, but in the meantime, any advice is appreciated.

Hi Mark!

Can´t say I understand what you exact are asking for, but I found these pics in one of my books;

As you can see, the exhausts are in a very normal rusty, red-brown color.
For paintbrushing I use a mix of Humbrol 53 Gunmetal (75%) and 171 Antique Bronze (25%).
When dry, give it a drybrush with a rust color and end with a black wash.

Or, as I do today (with my airbrush), a coat of Alclad steel followed with some Alclad burnt metal followed by a black wash.

Hope this helps you a bit on the way!

Cheers!

Stefan E
Sharkbiscuit
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Chiang Mai, Thailand / ไทย
KitMaker: 3 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 01:41 PM UTC
Those Bluish materials are the high-tech composite materials that can be found only on the modern aircraft engines.... or modern supersport car/motocycle exhaust pipes as well.

It composes of Titanium, Inconel, Alluminum, Stainless steel, etc. results in high tensile strength, pitting, crevice, strain-corrosion and creep resistance.

Warm Greeting from Thailand....
 _GOTOTOP