_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
My list of Preliminary do's and don'ts
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 03:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

"... Since I hold your teaching in such a high regard ... Stephen, how do you prepare your most difficult WWI fighters for the camouflage and other paint jobs? What is your do's and don'ts .... I hold you responsible for this bug that has hit me badly.....
All the very best you mate! J.

Greetings J.

My thanks for your kind words. Responsible eh? Is there malpractice insurance for modelers?

A. The DO's
1. Do enjoy yourself. This is a hobby and it should bring you pleasure.
2. Do build what you like and forget what anybody else thinks.
3. Do research into the subject matter. Libraries, online, buy books for reference.
4. Do learn new methods. Challenge yourself but go at your own pace. Aeroscale and IPMS are my first choices.
5. Do plan to finish your project. Unfinished kits are just taking up space without any appreciation.
6. Do a general clean up of the kit. This soap and water cleaning will give you an idea of what you may want to do during the build.
7. If you use metal rod for anything always use brass with resin. Other metals can rust when inserted into or pinning resin.
8. Using the instructions, apply a colour coding of highlighter markers to help you remember what to;
a. replace
b. scratchbuild
c. delete
and d. for what you have finished.
If you have to put the project away for a few days or weeks the instructions will be there to help you remember where you were at.
9. Do remember that it is a model and usually its easily replaced if damaged.
10. Do enjoy yourself. Yes I know I already said that but it needs to be repeated.

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 03:30 PM UTC
B. the Don'ts

1. Don't ever critize too harshly either yourself or others.
2. Don't ask for critism unless your ready for it.
3. Don't offer an opinion without being asked.
4. Don't take yourself too seriously.
5. Don't take others too seriously unless you value their opinion. Even then take it with a grain of salt.
6. Don't use general thinners with specific enamel hobby paints. Alaways be product specific. Tetsors thinner with Testors paint. Gunze thinner with Gunze paints and etc.
7. Don't try to catch a fallen razor knife.
8. Don't hold a razor knife or glue close to your face when your examining a part your working on.
9. Don't put thinners and your drinking coffee in similar containers.
10. Don't paint or glue without good ventilation.

The thread I mentioned earlier on Modeling Spruce and Linen is where I go to update everyone on whats happening here and on my building board.
 _GOTOTOP