Hosted by Rowan Baylis
DML 1:32 P-51D Mustang. A 1988 Corolla?
CPTKelley
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 206 posts
AeroScale: 115 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 07:02 AM UTC
The best analogy I have for this kit is akin to falling in love with a beautiful Redhead. Some days, you're in disbelief that your wretched life was blessed with such an incredible, ethereal being...and other days, you curse the soul of the hateful,sadistic lady who ruined your life. But I digress.

The firewall was rebuilt (so that you can't see through to the tail) and the flooring was rebuilt (so that you can't see through to planet Earth). The hydraulic brakelines were rebuilt since the kit's lines (nice touch) were molded TOO SHORT, the windscreen was faired in rudimentarily with CA and KrystalKlear(because I no longer care). The landing gear, including the tailwheel, seem to be made from a new Dragon Styrene resistant to all cements, including 15-minute epoxy(brass rodding fell out 4 seperate times).Seriously. It ain't regular styrene, and it ain't DS100. I think it's more aptly DS25&3/8. Kinda like the entrails from pigs...you know, like the stuff you get in Hotdogs. The nice machine gun bays are pointless, unless you cut open the doors. On the "plus" side...the insides of the upper wing are demarcated for doing so easily, but a beginning modeller may not look at it as such...since it isn't documented in the instructions.The vinyl, "weighted" tires are too big for the wheel hubs. They reminded me of one of my kids stomping around in one of my combat boots.

The cockpit was pretty nice (excepting the floor), and I enjoyed painting it up. Except that the instructions would have you place the seat too far aft, and it seems to me, at least, to sit too low on the floor. The Rolls-Royce Merlin, as well, was really well done. It's fairly accurate, and aside from a couple coolant hoses made from wire, it stands well on it's own. The decals in the kit were great, as well, and sucked down tight with Mr. Mark Softener. Nice options, too.

Would I build another one? Hell, no. It'd be nice if Mr. Leung and Co. would invest a little "Smart Kit" money into the future aircraft kits, if they plan to produce more of them. At the very least, re-release some "3-In-1" Focke-Wulves. Nobody wants to go around the block in a sh**ty Corolla if they don't have too.Too many nice cars out there to buy nowadays, ya know?
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 03:27 PM UTC
Hi James.
Very nice P-51!
Its sounds like you fought tooth and nail to get it finished,and I like the analogy :-)
One things for sure about this Dragon kit,,whatever its accuracy low points,,( although to my eyes it still looks like a cool Mustang), its certainly one of the most talked about kits Ive seen.
I cant remember a buzz about a kit like this since the Eduard MK22/24 Spitfire release last year,but for totally different reasons.
Well done on getting through to the finish!
Will we see this in MOQ?
Nige
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 03:53 PM UTC
Hi James!

Too bad you didn't finished the kit in time for the Mustang Challenge! The first prize is... a Dragon Mustang kit! :-)

Building a model is like overcoming a horse... and this Mustang is a particularly unforeseeable horse! But finally you managed to make a thoroughbred out of it, congratulations!

By the way, how's the Fw 190 article doing?

Jean-Luc
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 868 posts
AeroScale: 690 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 04:00 PM UTC

thanks James...that gap around the tyre (tire) looks bad...
I spent part of my Saturday afternoon in my LHS looking this over ..it is after all very reasonably priced ...
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 06:13 PM UTC
Great build! You can be proud of that one - especially if the rumours about the kit are true.

Blondes can also cause problems one day end be very nice the next day. I know, I can still remember my weekend :-) :-)

Thanks for sharing
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2007 - 11:19 PM UTC
James,

Your expert touch has still produced a fine looking model
Quoted Text

the windscreen was faired in rudimentarily with CA and KrystalKlear(because I no longer care)

--glad I'm not the only one who reaches that state.

Is it just me, or do those props look too broad? They seem too big for a P-51. Has that part of the kit been discussed before?
thehannaman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 279 posts
AeroScale: 194 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 02:29 AM UTC
Good job on a very lamentable "next generation" kit. Your BMF looks great. The decals look really good as well. Kudos!

Quoted Text

Is it just me, or do those props look too broad? They seem too big for a P-51. Has that part of the kit been discussed before?

I agree. The cuffs look really over-sized and the "trailing edges" look like an incorrect angle. I'm honestly surprised that Dragon let this kit get away from them like this. Hopefully they'll consider some re-tooling after all the negative (if honest) press. Time will tell.

CPTKelley
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 206 posts
AeroScale: 115 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 03:55 AM UTC
Hi Guys, and Thank You! The propeller issue was discussed on Hyperscale when the kit was released, but I wasn't convinced. What I discovered during this build is that the kit's propos are more of the type suited for the earlier P-51Bs. However, I do have photo documentation of late-war P-51Ds with the very same props! I know that the slimmer, more aerodynamic props are what everyone commonly sees, but there was documented use of this style as well. Interesting stuff.
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 07:25 AM UTC
Yeah well.....
I don't have that kit and I've not attempted to build it yet. But I am married to a redhead ........

at least with the Dragon kit you can throw it back in the box and kick it under the table. The wife on the other hand........ :-) :-) :-)
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 12:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm honestly surprised that Dragon let this kit get away from them like this. Hopefully they'll consider some re-tooling after all the negative (if honest) press.

Trumpeter did with their F4F Wildcat! Hey Dragon, hint hint!
 _GOTOTOP