_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Latest off the Bench - 1/48 BE-12b
BradCancian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 285 posts
AeroScale: 281 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 10:54 AM UTC
Hi all - here is my latest project off the work bench - 1/48 BE-12b, kitbashed from the Aeroclub BE-12 and the Roden SE5A. I started this project in November 2005, about 6 months before Roden released their 1/48 BE-12b (it's always the way!). After a few bouts of demotivation (thanks Roden!!) and being put back into the cupboard for a few months at various points, I finally decided to finish her. The project was a challenge right from the start and was a battle pretty much every step of the way - the build helped me appreciate just how agricultural (and un-aerodynamic) these aircraft really were!

The build progress pics are included Here and Here. In short, I used the Aeroclub and Roden kits for the basic aircraft, and most other things are scratchbuilt or from the spares box.

She is painted up in the markings of C3094 of "A' Flight, No.76 Home Defence Squadron as she appeared in August 1918. At this stage, she did not have any night fighting equipment and was marked in a fairly standard fashion.

Not my best build, but one of the more challenging!

All comments welcome.

BC
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 11:36 AM UTC
SUPERB!
The wood grain effect is particularly impressive.
Ahh,,one day maybe I'll be able to do this.
Nige
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,707 posts
AeroScale: 1,119 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 12:34 PM UTC
Jealousy ......I agree with Nigel-San. Excellent build! One day...... :-)
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 02:13 PM UTC
Brad, a very impressive build! The workmanship is top drawer and it is easily one of your finest pieces. Thanks for sharing. Now lets see that Bristol fuselage frame get some TLC!!!

Since Brad began his build Roden has released their BE this is a perfect example of the "Theory of Progression."

1.) As soon as you scratchbuild a model, a manufacturer will release a vacuform kit of it.
2.) As soon as you finish the vacuform kit, an injected molded version (this includes slush plastic, resin or metal) of the prototype will be released.
3.) As soon as you convert the injected molded kit of the prototype to the version you want, your version will be released by another manufacturer who will, include the refined versions of the decals, resin or photo etch that you had suggested to them on their website. But they will not mention you or provide you with gratis examples for your trouble.
4.) You can't win.(Because manufactures will inevitably simplify their processes.)
5.) You can't break even. Unless you value your own work.
6.) But, you can publish an article that will give you a chance to review their kit and point out its flaws.
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 03:29 PM UTC
Hi Brad!

That's a fantastic model! The fact that you kitbashed it out of two different kits gives it even more value to my eyes. The rigging is also fantastic! Could you tell us more about how you did?

I just have to ask you: this would definitely make a very interesting build article for Aeroscale! Could you submit it for publishing here?

Jean-Luc
BradCancian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 285 posts
AeroScale: 281 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 04:57 PM UTC
Hi guys - thanks for the good comments!

Stephen is dead right with his Theory of Progression - so, if anyone wants a kit to be released on the market let me know, I will start a kitbash, get a good way into it, and a new kit should be released within the next couple of months!!

Jean-Luc - I would be very happy to write an article - give me a week or two and I should have it ready - where do I send it to and in what format?

Thanks again guys!

BC
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 10:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Jean-Luc - I would be very happy to write an article - give me a week or two and I should have it ready - where do I send it to and in what format?

Hi Brad!

That's great!

You can put the pictures and the text (simpliest format, no word or .doc) in a folder and zip it. Then send us the whole thing via the Support Center... that's all!

I'm sure this will make into a fantastic article!

Jean-luc
 _GOTOTOP