_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Books on Luftwaffe markings and camouflage
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2007 - 06:30 PM UTC
Hi

I have a lot of books on specific Luftwaffe planes such as FW190, Bf 109, Stuka etc. However, I have no books on general rules on the Luftwaffe markings and camouflage. I do not really know the marking system for Luftwaffe aircraft in detail and would like to expand my understanding of the luftwaffe to the same extent as with the Panzerwaffe, which I have a good understanding of.

Therefore I searched the net and some of the best I could find were these:

luftwaffe camouflage and markings 1939-45 vol. 1

luftwaffe camouflage and markings 1939-45 vol. 2

Before I spend 150 USD I would just like to ask if anybody have read these? Any comments?
Any other suggestions on books that could be of use?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2007 - 07:32 PM UTC

Hi Jesper

I spent 100£ (~160 Euro) on those .. so 143 $ seems a good price. I have not read them because I still cannot get over the price. I started vol. 1 but it was just too similar to Ullmanns German book (which I read), that I did not feel the urge to press on (this is dry stuff) .. still one day ... BTW it is considered the best source on Lw c&m to date.

Further books:

Michael Ullmann "Luftwaffe Colours" Hikoki out of print. Single volume and really nice. both sources diagree on some points .... as I stated in several of the colour discussions .. here a lot of believing and personal taste is involved.

Do not get me wrong there are hard facts that are to be known, but e.g. if the 80ies range is a re-intro of some pre war colours or what ever and those different shades of 76 and how they were designated is partly a matter of believe .... not to mention that colour perception is highly subjective ..

Another good book is the JaPo on the Fw 190 D-9 c&m (pt.1) ... great on late war colours and schemes ....

As for Markings and unit designations get Barry Rosch's "Lw Codes, markings and units 1939-45"

I think thats enough as a start .. if you feel I can't give you the right answers .. check

http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?s=d2ab3c345423d622717bccce1042cef9&f=16

and ask there if you wish....

cheers

Steffen

SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2007 - 08:17 PM UTC
Thanks a lot, Steffen. I appreciate your help - you are the luftwaffe oracle

I cannot decide if I really need the books. If I do not feel like reading them there is no point in buying them. I find the colour discussion very academic and I am more interested in colour schemes and markings. I want to understand what "yellow 14 + -" means. I do not know if I can just find that on the internet or I need to invest in a lot of pages of colour discussions.

I can get a lot of airplane or unit specific books for 150 USD from Kagero.

Anyway, I will have to consider that....

Under all circumstances: Vielen danke

alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2007 - 08:37 PM UTC
Hi Jesper

Quoted Text

Thanks a lot, Steffen. I appreciate your help - you are the luftwaffe oracle

I am just an amateur. You would not believe what knowledgable people are out there .. and I am only a very, very small light.

Quoted Text

I cannot decide if I really need the books. If I do not feel like reading them there is no point in buying them. I find the colour discussion very academic and I am more interested in colour schemes and markings. I want to understand what "yellow 14 + -" means.

i cannot help you on your decision. You must know if you want to enlage your general Luftwaffe knowledge or if you want to buy model references. There are a lot of colour scheme layouts in the book, but just the standard stuff as per RLM (Reichs Luftfahrt Ministerium ~ Emperial Aeronautical Ministry/Office).

yellow 14 + - means "yellow 14" Balkenkreuz Gruppenbalken (II.Gruppe)

cheers

Steffen
mark197205
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,593 posts
AeroScale: 5 posts
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2007 - 10:34 PM UTC
Although I dont have the two more recent volumes you mention Jesper I do have the Michael Ullman book Steffen mentions and i found it quite useful, now as he says it is currently out of print but i believe a local book wholesalers i go to regularly has some copies left, I could take a look and let you know if you are interested in it?
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 04:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Although I dont have the two more recent volumes you mention Jesper I do have the Michael Ullman book Steffen mentions and i found it quite useful, now as he says it is currently out of print but i believe a local book wholesalers i go to regularly has some copies left, I could take a look and let you know if you are interested in it?

That would be a great help. I will of course reimburse you for any costs associated with this. I will send you a PM.
 _GOTOTOP