_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Online Ordering
Sean18mb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 13 posts
AeroScale: 6 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 06:02 AM UTC
I'm just wondering where everyone likes to order model supplies online? Where I live the stores don't have much of what I'd like to purchase, so I'm looking for some reliable online stores to order from. I'm in Canada, so a Canadian or American company is preferred (for shipping costs). greatmodels.com seems like a good store. Any others?

-Sean
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 06:32 AM UTC
Hi there, try Squadron mail order, I believe you can find them at Squadron.com. They always have a good selection of kits, paints, glues, decals and more! I've ordered from them for years. They are located in Texas.
I saw an earlier post about airbrushes. I thought I'd recommend the Aztek airbrush by Testors. It is a double action and internal mix airbrush which you can by as just double action or the model 4709 which is both single and double action. With screw in heads it is easier than changing a needle. It is really a great airbrush and I think anyone would enjoy using it. Take care. Russell
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 06:36 AM UTC
Hi Sean,
Squadron is where 90% of my kits come from. I have never once had a problem with their service. I also use Great Models because of their selection. Great Models however has one small problem with their website. When you order something from them, you don't find out wether it's in stock or on back order until you actually submitt the purchase form.
Kriegshund
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 132 posts
AeroScale: 108 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 04:48 PM UTC
I use Greatmodels most of the time, excellent sales, great service, fast shipping, never have had to wait for my items (yet). Spruebrothers.com is another favorite, same comments as for Greatmodels. Squadron is marginal at best in my book, not bad price-wise when they have sales. I'm not too fond of their customer service though, trying to find out your status once you order is like pulling teeth. Communication is not their strong point in my opinion. Always seems to take at least three days to ship my order.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 06:38 PM UTC
Hi Sean

Welcome to Aeroscale.

A couple more to add to the list:

HobbyLink Japan is excellent for stuff from the Far East - they often have items sooner and a lot cheaper than elsewhere.

Modelimex is particularly good value for short-run Eastern European kits and accessories.

I've had great service from both companies - Modelimex, in particular, go to great lengths notifying you on the status of your order and get extra brownie-points from me for sending a follow-up priority e-mail to check it's arrived safely.

All the best

Rowan
LSOCV171945
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 39 posts
AeroScale: 25 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 11:26 PM UTC
I have not had any problems with Great Models. I rely on them because they have the largest selection of what is available from vendors all over the world, and their prices are very competitive, if not the lowest of any of the on-line stores.
Sean18mb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 13 posts
AeroScale: 6 posts
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2007 - 05:15 AM UTC
Thanks a bunch fellas! I'm always cautious when it comes to online purchases. You just never know when a site is legit or not. Again, thanks!

-Sean
WingTzun
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 853 posts
AeroScale: 137 posts
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2007 - 05:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Sean,
Squadron is where 90% of my kits come from. I have never once had a problem with their service. I also use Great Models because of their selection. Great Models however has one small problem with their website. When you order something from them, you don't find out wether it's in stock or on back order until you actually submitt the purchase form.

I like GreatModels too. I think they updated their website so "In Stock" items are identified when you look at them . I just placed an order and some of what I wanted (@ 1/2 my order ) showed as being "In Stock" when I placed them in the shopping cart. I like being able to check my order status through the site and be able to add to an existing order too.

I also like Michigan Discount Models:
[urlhttp://www.discountmodels.com/[/url]
The_Migrant
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 43 posts
AeroScale: 38 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 08:43 PM UTC
I can highly recommend Sprue Brothers. What's nice is that they have a real-time inventory system, so if it says the kit's in stock, it is. Prices are good, service is excellent to Canada. Another favourite of mine is Roll Models, who also have an ad on this site. Huge range of stuff, their site's worth a visit for the reviews/gallery too.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 06:58 PM UTC
I can recommend Jadar hobby especially for those difficult to get reference from Kagero. I use them every time I need to get some good references on aircraft with decals for the most interesting colour schemes.

If you need to buy models etc. I think it would be better to use US or Canadian stores.
 _GOTOTOP