BV 40A questions
TacFireGuru
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,770 posts
AeroScale: 201 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 05:52 AM UTC
Hey all,

Me again with a few "wingie thingie" questions. Yep! Got me another plane!

I purchased the Czech Model BV 40A (kit #4802 - 1/48th) and of course, I have some questions.

First off, anyone build this? Any things to watch out for?

The instructions, as plain as they are, do not discuss the interior coloring at all. So, what would the "cockpit" color be? The bench seat? The floor?

They do discuss the exterior colors but use RLM and FS numbers. And throw me for a loop: the box indicates three colors, yet the instructions list five. Looking at the schemes, I'd like to do the three-color hard/sharp edge camo. The box: RLM 81 Dark Green, RLM 82 Dark Green, and RLM 76 Light Blue......the instructions: RLM 74 Dark Gray and RLM 82 Dark Green, RLM 75 Gray Violet and RLM 81 Brown Violet(??) and RLM 76 Light Blue Gray (?).

For the hard/sharp edge scheme, which colors should be used? Any, to further assist me, what would the recommended RLM #'s convert to in either Tamiya or Testors acrylics?

Forgive me these questions, but it's a kool lookin' plane and I'd, of course, like it to be reasonably accurate.

Oh, one more thing....it shows rigging of sorts (NOT on the instructions) on the box picture, the quality is lacking and I can't really tell just where (other than it attaches to the axle and fuselage) the rigging goes.

For those not familiar with this engineless birdy, here's a picture...... BV 40

Anyhow, again, I bow down to those whose heads are frequently in the clouds (and I say this respectfully ) and look forward to your input.

A ground-pounder,

Mike
Kriegshund
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 132 posts
AeroScale: 108 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 03:19 PM UTC
Hello Mike, here's some info I found about how one guy did it, hopefully it will give some insight:

BV 40 build .
TacFireGuru
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 05:26 PM UTC
Tony,

I appreciate the link. Looks like the guy building it found it frustrating! But, in his words, his fault. The cockpit pic will certainly help.

Still wondering/need to know about the RLM colors (it does not help that I'm colorblind!! )

Mike
Kriegshund
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 07:53 PM UTC
Mike, I don't know much about the individual RLM colors that you should or shouldn't use, but to my eye for the interior using RLM 02 would probably be safe. On Testors website you can find their paint lists which do have RLM colors, personally I use the acrylics, which I have a link to here . Hopefully someone with more knowledge will help out. :-)
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 08:54 PM UTC
Hi Mike!

There was an article in "Le Fana de l'Aviation" not long ago...

It appears the cockpit was more RLM 66 (it is not specified in the text but the picture below shows a rather dark colour).

For the camouflage, if you want to be accurate, you should only use a RLM 65/RLM 75 combination. All the prototypes were painted like that. In the build article, the modeler did an hypothetical paintsheme. If you go the What If? route you can basically paint the aircraft in whatever color you want, why not bright red! :-)

Here are two more reference picture from the article...

Jean-Luc
Kriegshund
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 10:44 PM UTC
Excellent info, thanks Jean-Luc.

Can you imagine, flying into combat, in a cannon-armed glider, and on top of it all a battery inches from your face?
TacFireGuru
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2007 - 12:28 AM UTC
See, I knew I'd get the "down n dirty" much needed info!

Tony, THANK YOU for that Testor's link. Added to my ever growing listing of paints and cross-references! Too kool.

Jean-Luc, WOW! What can I say 'cept thanks! Excellent pics! Very much needed indeed. The line drawings will greatly assist with the trolly's rigging. Perfectomundo! I will go with your suggestion of the two-color scheme....RLM 65 & 75 for the exterior (thanks, but I'll pass on the red! ) and the 66 on the inside. With the cockpit pic, I think I'll "expand" and see about scratching some more of the interior. You wouldn't by chance have any other interior pics would you?

Again Gentlemen, many thanks!

Mike
TacFireGuru
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2007 - 08:38 AM UTC
Jean-Luc! Whoa! I just looked at the Testor's link for the colors....here's what I got:

Quoted Text

you should only use a RLM 65/RLM 75 combination

RLM 65 = Hellblau (Light Blue)
RLM 75 = Grauviolett (Gray Violet)
RLM 66 = Schwarzgrau (Black Gray)

I say "Whoa!" cause, as mentioned, I'm pretty colorblind (I do see red tho, so I'm still not going to paint it that color!)....but, RLM 65 for the underside...sounds good.....RLM 75 for the upper surfaces?? In the pic you provided (top-bottom-front views), it looks greenish (like RLM 82 - Dunkelgrun [Dark Green])....not grayish.....oh, RLM 66 for the interior is kool.

So, please claify for me.....RLM 75 or RLM 82 for the upper surfaces? Or did I just mis-understand, and the 65 or 75 could be used for the underside?

Many thanks!!

Mike
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2007 - 12:22 PM UTC
Hi Mike!

Oops sorry! I made a typo... it's of course RLM65 (Hellblau) and RLM71 (Dunkelgrün).

Unfortunately it's the only cockpit picture I have.

Sorry again for the mistake...

Jean-Luc
TacFireGuru
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2007 - 07:16 PM UTC
Whew! Got it. Again, thanks guys. I'll be off to the LHS next week.

Mike
 _GOTOTOP