_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
RLM 71 TRUE COLOR
VikMex
KitMaker: 30 posts
AeroScale: 22 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 06:49 AM UTC
Howdy,I'm gonna sarted to paint a Ju-52 and I´m confused wich is the real
color for RLM 71 Dunkelgrün(Dark green) I've purchased a bottle of Model Master RLM 71 and oh surprise! this color seems more "greyish" than the RLM 71 showed in the Official Luftwaffe Color Chart issued by Warnecke & Böhm Farbenfabrik, a paint supplier to the Luftwaffe.
Instead Humbrol 116, even my girlfriend :-)8 says:oh! Humbrol 116 is quasi-identical to the color in the chart! .Any comments ,opinions or suggestions are welcome
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 12:23 PM UTC
Uhh!!...The never ending colour discussion. I have been through this discussion with German panzer colours a lot of times.

My main argument on this is that if you get a close match to the official colours you should go for what you think is closest. So, if you think the Humbrol 116 looks closest to the official colour charts then go with that one regardless of the Model Master being called RLM 71. After all Model Master could have gotten it wrong.

My main argument is that the weather would affect colours in real life and there were probably differences in the shades of the colours - especially in wartime. So "getting close" is close enough for me even though some might disagree with me
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 01:54 PM UTC
in addition to what Jesper wrote

do not forget the scale effect and that the tonal difference between 70 and 71 should be right. OTOH this scale lightening is also a matter of personal taste ... I like it better, especially for the darker colours

71 is a dark olive green (read it has a larger yellow part) while 70 is more blueish and even darker

But in the end your personal impression is what counts .. everyone sees colors different --- not to mention external influences like weather, lighting (sun set or noon), distance and other factors that can distort colors /color impressions ...

Choose what Y O U like best --- or maybe your girfriend --- Of course base your decision on research, but in the end it is you who has to live with the result.

best wishes

Steffen
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 04:51 AM UTC
Hi there

I'll go along with what everyone's posted about the fun of judging colours - and add an extra twist; Ken Merrick's recent 2-volume set on the subject ("Luftwaffe Camouflage & Markings 1933-45" - Classic Colours) contains the absolute modellers' nightmare that different German paint suppliers used totally different pigments/ingredients to achieve what was an acceptible "match" for the standard...

On the basis of evidence like that, pinning down a single "absolute" colour is probably impossible... all the previous advice on finding the best visual match for your Warnecke & Böhm Farbenfabrik paint chip is as good as you can probably do.

All the best

Rowan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 05:20 AM UTC
Hi Rowan

yes the Merrick books show their value over the time .. just today I read Vol.1 appendix B to find out what interior colour my He 177 should have ... do you know radio Erewan ,,, a common bonmot here in Germany .. there are questions asked and the answer always is "im Prinzip ja/nein" and then follows an explanation stating the opposite

Anyway .... I seem to get over the 100 £ step by step ... maybe I even read it one day (the whole 2 vols) ... BTW will there be a 3rd vol.? .. I have heard rumors of that ....

cheers

Steffen
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 05:46 AM UTC
Hi Steffen

Volume 3?... I've always told myself trying to keep in touch is a hiding to nothing! LOL! - Another £50 - yes, I'll still probably buy it! LOL!

All the best

Rowan
VikMex
KitMaker: 30 posts
AeroScale: 22 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 06:14 AM UTC
Thanks All (Jesper,Alpha_Tango & Merlin )for the comments, Now I´m more confused than yesterday(just a joke )I'll be experimenting adding
a little white color to Humbrol 116 and then mixed with MM RLM 71
Regards from Mexico City
 _GOTOTOP