_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
FAA Roundel Size
Steelheader
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 46 posts
AeroScale: 29 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 05:21 PM UTC
I am planning to build the 1/48th scale Monogram PBY-5 Catalina in the markings of the aircraft used by 209 Squadron to locate trhe Bismark in 1941. The Aeromaster decal sheet 48-234 is shown as discontinued, but I plan to improvise (What else?). I am using the color sheets for reference. My questions are as follows:

What are the sizes for three position roundel and fin flash? I started a Google search and did not see too much that zeroed in on what I am after.

Also, what was the color and size for the aircraft codes (WQ O Z )? They appear to be grey on the Aeromaster site.

If anyone can provide this information or reference materials, web sites, etc. that help would be much appreciated.

Thanks to all.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 12:29 PM UTC
Hi Michael

I'll try and sort out a bit more info at the weekend, but here's a photo of the aircraft from "RAF Coastal Command 1936-1969 by Chris Ashworth, PSL:

The codes look to be grey and the yellow ring on the fuselage roundel appears dark because the photo was shot with ortho film.

All the best

Rowan
Steelheader
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 46 posts
AeroScale: 29 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 02:31 PM UTC
Thanks fr the help, Rowan. Please let me know your sources if you would. That information will be good for future use.

Thanks again.
 _GOTOTOP