_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
Messerschmitt Bf110G-2 Finished
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 04:20 AM UTC
:-) This is the Revell/Monogram 1/48 Messerschmitt Bf110G-2, a very nice kit. Painted with Lifcolour acrylics and kit decals were used. They are not the best decals in the world, but eventually they look quite good. Only additions are Re-heat PE seat belts and invisible thread antenna wire. I had a bit of grief with the pitot tube, cos I forgot to open the hole in the starboard wing. Luckilly though I had a couple of good pictures which enabled me to solve that problem. :-)

Mal
knapsack
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 9 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 04:40 AM UTC
looks good !!!, what did you use to darken the panel lines
WeWillHold
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,314 posts
AeroScale: 82 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 04:42 AM UTC
Hold:

Your usual fine work! How in the world do you crank these masterpieces out so fast?? :-)

ps: Take my advice from an earlier post, and publish a book.
pps: This is one pig that thinks this Wolf isn't big or bad, just a superb aircraft modeler. Good job!
mj
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,331 posts
AeroScale: 325 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 04:42 AM UTC
WOW...that is a stunning model! Great work, Mal.

Mike

Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 05:04 AM UTC
Mal, great work as usual. "I KNOW NOTHING!"....about German aircraft but this looks pretty good to me.

Could I persuade you to take some time to either 1) put together an article detailing the construction or 2)submitting the pics (with no text) for a 'OnDisplay' feature? Thanks.
Thor
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 190 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 05:13 AM UTC
Again youve made a masterpiece! Wish i could make em like that.

More people have asked it, but ill ask it anyway: Do you have a factory or something that makes the models? Or is your whole family helping you with those aircraft? #:-)
Sjeezzz, i make one aircraft in about 6 weeks if im lucky and here you come with three masterpieces in just.....well .....1,5 weeks orso?

Cool aircraft Mal ! Why dont you write an article about one so we can read how you make them look so realistic?

Looking forward to see your next project (btw what is your next project)?

Dolf
Favorisio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 277 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 09:09 AM UTC
Mal, I only hope I can pick up a few of your techniques over the next few weeks.

Another masterpiece.... canopy looks tremendous, love the camo paint on the sides, invisible thread nice and tight... I could go on....

Would love to see more pics of the underneath of your planes, I know this is hard to achieve though.

Roger
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 09:21 AM UTC
:-)
Quoted Text

knapsack
what did you use to darken the panel lines

After decalling I apply a coat of Klear (Future), then mix artist oils in white spirit, run into the panel lines and leave for upto 24 hours, before wiping it off, in the direction of the air flow. The mix of artists oils I use depends on the aircraft camouflage. I don't keep records of mixes so each one will at least be slightly different. For german aircraft in the RLM 74,75,76 scheme I use Madder brown (or Burnt Umber) Warm Grey and Black. For the underside it's lighter, for the topside I add more black. The Helldiver that is on the factory production line at the moment had a similar mix but even more black was added. I would never use straight Black. On a desert scheme it would be more brown and no black.

Bryan
Quoted Text

[Could I persuade you to take some time to either 1) put together an article detailing the construction or 2)submitting the pics (with no text) for a 'OnDisplay' feature? Thanks.

I will certainly submit the pics. I would put together an article but this bird has been sometime in the making so I'm not sure I could outline problem areas etc, but I might be able to get some angle on it. I am putting together an article on pre-shading, I need to finish the 3 Amigos to be able to finish it though. I could probably do one while doing the Spitfire group build though. If you want pics of any other stuf that Ive posted, or haven't for that matter no problem. I'm not sure of the form but I'll find out. :-)

Dolf
Quoted Text

[More people have asked it, but ill ask it anyway: Do you have a factory or something that makes the models? Or is your whole family helping you with those aircraft?
Sjeezzz, i make one aircraft in about 6 weeks if im lucky and here you come with three masterpieces in just.....well .....1,5 weeks orso?

Heee Heee, I have axplained this several times, but I don't have a problem saying it again.
No, I don't have a factory and my family don't help When I introduced myself here on Armorama, back at the end of September, I bemoaned the fact that I had 32 models on the go. From the replies that seemed to be quite normal, however I wasn't finishing anything. Lots of reasons for that and I wont go into them now. I put up a post "this is what Armorama does for me" basically it was saying that I have been motivated by this site and the people on it to finish up all those kits. I have also started 6 models since joining, for group builds, 2 of them are finished. The 32 kits I had on the go when I joined had all been on the go for months, in some cases years, so I supose in one way it is a production line. Other factors are involved though, one is that I'm out of work, so I have plenty of time. Another is the fact that I got a digital camera. taking pics has never been so easy.

Quoted Text

Looking forward to see your next project (btw what is your next project)?

Well I'm itching to get my Helldiver done, but I want to finish the last of the 3 Amigos a 109E-7 Trop. I do have a Sea Fury (been going for years) nearly complete, but I think next out of the hanger doors will be My P40M Kittyhawk, just needs the canopy sorted (been sorting it for weeks), also possibly just before it my Typhoon. :-)
Mal
shermanfreak
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 380 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 12:25 PM UTC
Another fine looking model Mal......keep on popping them out and you'll have your desk cleaned off in no time at all. Except of course all the new ones you start in the meantime.
SniperSoldier
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sao Paulo, Brazil
KitMaker: 1,638 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 03:11 PM UTC
GREAT BIRD AND VERY NICE WORK
CONGRATULATIONS

ROBERTO
SS-74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 07:33 PM UTC
AGAIN!!!!!! #:-)

Okay I will just paste my previous comments here with MINOR changes then.

Quote From my previous comments:

Damn, this is nice plane. I especially like the camo thing, and the gun nozzle weathering, very very nice.

man you build it faster than I can come up with comments, next time, I will just copy and paste my previous comments, if you keep your building speed. (HERE YOU GO, I PASTED)

BBW2, I still convinced that you have a factory going on though...... (MORE CONVINCED!!! )

Unquote

Now, another thing I really like about this plane is the way the tires looked, they are very nice. BBW 2, how do you do the masking on this complextcanopy? I been wanna do a Ju-87 or a Me-110, but the canopy really scares me...

Your usual good work!
Bender
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 323 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 04:18 PM UTC
wow another one, dont know how I missed this before, but what a nice suprise, you are truly the man, very nice work

Bender
Delbert
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,659 posts
AeroScale: 209 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 06:15 PM UTC
Great work.. I love the pictures and the tips.. I have a Me110 G-2 started along with a Ju 87 Stuka and am thinking i'd really like to start the He 129 I just got......... maybe after I finish my tank i'll use your pics as inspirations to get some planes done.. maybe i'll have to start me a model factory.... and get more than 3 projects started at once..that way sometime years down the line I will start churning out some stuff.......LOL

later
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 07:44 PM UTC
:-) Hi Delbert, yep thats the way to do it, build a bunch of models to vearying degrees of completion, wait until you find Armorama then you can start finishing them works for me.LOL.
More tips on the way, I've submitted an article. :-)
Mal
TUNA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 449 posts
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2003 - 03:07 PM UTC
Awsome Job... Especially the weathering... appreciate the description on how you did it! Makes me want to open mine up and attempt construction!
hworth18
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 426 posts
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2003 - 04:31 PM UTC
Another Great looking plane Mal, I think the Bf-110 is one of my favorites and you did a fantastic job on it..
blaster76
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
AeroScale: 137 posts
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2003 - 06:51 PM UTC
never built a 110 before, lots of 109's. This is one crackerjack 110. I want to do one of the wasphead ones got about 50 kits at the house now so I think t'll be a while but you've got a print and save for that day thannks
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 08:43 AM UTC
:-) blaster76,
My next 110 will probably be G-4 nightfighter, then the Waspen G-2. When you are ready to do it give me a shout and we can have a group build :-)
Mal
DRAGONWAGON
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,041 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 08:13 PM UTC
Hello, Holdfast. I'm not a aircraft modeller, but when I see a model like your's, I must confess my hands are starting to itch!!

Very nice job, John.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 08:22 PM UTC
:-) I feel the same way, seeing some of the armour :-) Great isn't it :-)
Mal
bison44
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 471 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 12:55 AM UTC
Excellent work Mal!!! Can't wait to see your article. This may sound strange but I will be sad to see you get a full time job again. Keep up the inspiring work!
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 05:26 AM UTC
:-) Thanks Ryan, I too will be sorry to see me get a full time job but if I don't the boss won't let me have anymore modelling equipment. I'm already struggling for paint, and I broke my last 0.3 drill so I don't know how I will drill my Spit for it's antenna and IFF wires Doh.
However I still have the resources to finish up a few of my projects, The Sea Fury should be next, finish spraying the exhaust staining this morning :-) Just need to sort out the canopy, it had been under masking tape for a couple of years and was in a right state.
Mal
 _GOTOTOP