_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
WWI aviation Modeling Hall of Fame
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 04:36 PM UTC
Here are some of the people we should thank for our hobby being what it is today.

Chris Ellis : for showing that imagination matters more than what's in the box

Harry Woodman : for showing that you don't actually need a boxed kit to build a model.

John Adams : for inventing Aeroclub and launching a whole raft of cottage industries

Joe Chubbock : for raising the standards and making buildable vacforms.

An unknown Czech dental technician (according to legend some thirty years ago) : for realising the possibilities of resin.

Brad K. Hansen for 'WWI in Plastic.'

Ray Rimell for 'Albatros Pub. et al Ltd.'

Vagn Espensen for 'Veeday and Merlin Kits' (1/72 injection short run.)

John Tarvin for Burnaby hobbies- 'Airframe' (1/72 male molding Vac.)

Chris Gannon for ' Pegasus & Blue Max'

Pamela Veal, By-Planes (first female vacuform molding 1/48.)

Gordon Sutcliffe Productions, Contrail vacs Somerset, England (Zep Staaken vac.)

Shep Paine.Mostly because of his unselfish sharing of diorama and building techniques and he is a great modeler too. (from John Reid)

Bill Bosworth, the man behind the original incarnation of Accurate Miniatures and a prolific scratchbuilder of excellent models, mostly of the "yellow wings" era.

Gerald Wingrove, builder of museum quality replicas of the great cars of the 20s and 30s. His two books on the subject are well worth owning for the tecniques he explains, from casting tyres to hammering out compound curved fenders over wooden bucks.

Fulton Hungerford, the stick and tissue modeller's scale guru. His Ford Trimotor with corrugated skin set the benchmark for free flight scale rubber models.

Steve Hustad. When I saw his models at the 1991 Nationals in St. Louis, I knew I had a personal goal to meet - and, as it turns out, he's quite a good friend, now. ( fromMatt Bittner)

In addition, Alberto Casirati. It was his work with French aircraft that really gave me the impetus to start down that wonderful path. (also from Matt.)

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 02:58 PM UTC
Recent additions to this list are;

Peter Leonard, owner operator of wwimodeler site and no matter what he says he is NOT just another modeler. Peter's venture into resin manufacture is still apparent especially if you do any of the Copper State Models modifications to the large Revell1/28 Fokker D.VII.

Ed Boll, IPMS icon and WWI fanatic (one of the good ones.)
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 07:46 AM UTC
Eric Hight : owner operator of Copper State Models OOP.

Tom Harrison : owner operator Tom's Modelworks. Gone West 2009 - sadly.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 08:42 AM UTC
Jim Starkweather - owner operator of Aeroscale .co.uk our host. He carved out a place for the average modeler to come and feel safe about asking questions.

Rod Filan - owner operator of Rosebud's free image gallery for WWI aviation.

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 08:56 AM UTC
Ian Huntley - for all of his studies and research into German camouflage and for publishing them in hobby magazines.

Alex Revell - Gentleman scholar, for all of his studies and research into British camouflage and markings and for publishing them.

Alex Imrie - The bandy little Scot and scholar, for all of his studies and research into German camouflage and markings and for publishing them. Gone West 2011.

Jame J. Parks - Gentleman scholar, for all of his studies and research into all aspects of WWI subjects and for publishing them. Sadly Gone West.

His son Andy Parks for continuing his fathers legacy With the Lafayette Foundation / Vintage Aero

George H. Williams - Gentleman scholar, for all of his studies and research and photo reproduction into all aspects of WWI subjects and for publishing them. Sadly Gone West.
FUTURE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 61 posts
AeroScale: 56 posts
Posted: Monday, April 02, 2007 - 03:57 PM UTC
Dan San Abbott should be in this list too. He has contributed greatly to research of German Camoflage and Loz colours.

I thought he would have been given a look in here.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 12:24 AM UTC
And the list goes on.
Aeroscale member Dan San Abbott as has been previously mentioned. Personal, unit and national markings being his forte. Gone West 2011.

Dave Watts for his techincal contributions to our knowlege of the Diamler / Mercedes motors and Spandau machine Guns.

James Kerr III for his life time studies into German WWI two seater units. Sadly Gone West. 1989.

A.E. Ferko for his life time studies into WWI German units. Sadly Gone West.

J.M. Bruce for his life time studies into WWI British (and post war) histories. Sadly Gone West.

Paul S. Leaman for his life's work in all studies of WWI aviation and his many faithful years managing Cross & Cockade GB (Intl.)
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 01, 2009 - 10:54 PM UTC
Burl Burlingame of Hawaii for his life time dedication to museum quality and aircraft in general.

Rick Duiven for his historical legacy of perserving documents and photos we use as references. Gone West 2009, sadly.
BOC262
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 51 posts
AeroScale: 50 posts
Posted: Friday, October 02, 2009 - 10:14 AM UTC
Barry Stettler should be on this list too. Barry was the man responsible for the Roseplane line of 1/72 WWI aircraft models, appearing first as fine vacuforms, and later as full resin kits. Before the Web became ubiquitous, Barry was one of the main forces for promoting and popularizing WWI aircraft modeling in the USA.
BOC262
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 51 posts
AeroScale: 50 posts
Posted: Friday, October 02, 2009 - 10:17 AM UTC
Oh yeah--how could any list be complete without mentioning Cole Palen, the founder of Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome. Seeing those beautiful old airplanes actually fly inspired legions of WWI aircraft enthusiasts. Sadly Gone West.
modelhound
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 57 posts
AeroScale: 56 posts
Posted: Friday, October 02, 2009 - 11:12 AM UTC
Must Include;

Bob Norgren guru of Sierra Scale Models, IMHO the best vacuform WWI aeroplane models.

Mike the modelhound in Bellingham WA.
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,121 posts
AeroScale: 1,063 posts
Posted: Friday, October 02, 2009 - 11:38 AM UTC

I'd like to submit my "heros" :

George Lee

Gerald Wingrove

- two spectacular scratchbuilders who I still look to for inspiration.

Mark
BurlBurlingame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hawaii, United States
KitMaker: 53 posts
AeroScale: 52 posts
Posted: Friday, October 02, 2009 - 01:52 PM UTC
As I write this, I glanced up and saw Tom Harrison's phone number on now-permanent postit note on my computer.
Tom and I worked together on various projects for nearly a quarter-century, and his generosity of spirit was legendary. We talked weekly, and I'm now a poorer person with him gone from the scene.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Friday, October 02, 2009 - 03:06 PM UTC
Well , I really can't add any names to the list . Most of the gentlemen and Lady . I have not heard of until now . A few I have and their knowledge in the field of WW1 aviation draws me in even more .

I have spoken with Eric at Copper State Models and he is a stand up guy The man loves to talk !

I would also I like to thank Stephen Lawson for his aid and knowledge in WWi aviation .

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2012 - 09:35 PM UTC
We must add Peter Jackson wizard of Wingnut Wings and his team of picklehaublets for the great 1:32 scale kits we have been blessed with.

Richard Alexander
Jason McAdams
Ronny Bar
Steve Anderson
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 07, 2012 - 04:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well , I really can't add any names to the list . Most of the gentlemen and Lady . I have not heard of until now . A few I have and their knowledge in the field of WW1 aviation draws me in even more .

I have spoken with Eric at Copper State Models and he is a stand up guy The man loves to talk !

I would also I like to thank Stephen Lawson for his aid and knowledge in WWi aviation .

Right on Teri and I concur with your assessment: a special thanks to Stephen Lawson for maintaining this forum.

Best

Mark
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Friday, November 09, 2012 - 02:33 PM UTC
Stephen's modeling expertise, tremendously impressive depth of knowlege, and his already well established reputation as an expert in his chosen area of interest have earned him a pre-eminent position in the group being nominated. As pointed out by Terri and Mark his devotion to this site and his considerable efforts to provide us with a safe and happy place to be, regardless of level of talent or participation, merits our thanks and recognition.
He's certainly high on my list of "Hall of Fame WWI Modelers" and he has earned a prominent position in the group.
Cheers,
Lance
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, November 09, 2012 - 06:07 PM UTC
Thanks for the kind words folks. I sincerely appreciate your sentiments.

Lets not forget David Errol known here abouts as "Bristol". He was well liked in the community and on several other sites. He passed away about a year ago.
Dwaynewilly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 365 posts
AeroScale: 344 posts
Posted: Friday, November 09, 2012 - 06:28 PM UTC
I second the above motion ... all in favor say aye ... thats it, it's unaniomous. Mr. Lawson, enter your name in the Hall of Fame!

Thanks for all you do here Stephen, making all welcome regardless of their skill level and expertise and the helping hand you extend to all who need it.

Dwayne
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2012 - 04:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I second the above motion ... all in favor say aye ... thats it, it's unaniomous. Mr. Lawson, enter your name in the Hall of Fame!

Thanks for all you do here Stephen, making all welcome regardless of their skill level and expertise and the helping hand you extend to all who need it.

Dwayne

I say "Aye" most heartily. Thanks again Stephen for your dedication and work in the WWI aviation field, both here and in your work in Colorado.

Best

Mark
 _GOTOTOP