_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Schlactgeschwader vs. Jagdgeschwader
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 04:56 PM UTC
Hi,

After having done some research for some of my future WWII German birds I have come up with some things I need to sort out. Of course I turn to trusty Aeroscale

My main problems are these:
to which extent were Jagdgeschwader aircraft used for ground attack missions and can I put underwing stores (bombs etc.) on my Jagdgeschwader aircraft without losing historical accuracy?
If Jagdgeschwader aircraft were used for ground attack would they be marked differently or simply fly using the same markings?

I know that the German Jagdgeschwader is a fighter unit mainly tasked with air to air combat. Mainly marked with numbers fx. "red 14"

The Schlactgeschwader is a ground attack unit mainly tasked with ground attack. Mainly marked with letters fx. "Red L". Any Bf 109s and FW 190s used in these units could of course have underwing stores.

I know that JG 51, JG 5 and JG 54 used bombs on their aircraft for ground attack missions as this is well documented. Among others with congratulations from Hitler when JG 5 sank some Russian submarines(!) Are these exceptions or were Jagdgeschwader aircraft often used for ground support using bombs etc.?

The problem arises because a lot of the colour schemes included in kits and in the decals options in Kagero publications (which I use a lot) are for Jagdgeschwader aircraft. This is a general problem for me with FW 190s and Bf109s.
For example, the Academy Bf 109 G6, which have only markings for Jagdgeschwader aircraft, has a lot of interesting underbelly stores including a rack for 4 bombs. This I would like to use, but can I with Jagdgeschwader markings?

Any comments and/or information would be greatly appreciated
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 11:46 AM UTC
Hi Jesper

I don't think you should have any problems - I've found plenty of photos of Bf 109s and Fw 190s belonging to fighter units armed with bombs, and they are wearing their standard unit markings.

I hope that helps, all the best

Rowan
 _GOTOTOP