Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Gotha 229
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 08:34 AM UTC
This is my latest build in 1/72 scale. It is painted in RLM 81/82 on top. It has RLM 76 on the bottom.
The kit went together well and the decals are better than Academy. Although I had a problem with the red segmented line on the left side of the wing. This is the wing walk area and I had to try three decals to get it right!
The first two "fogged" underneath the decal when placed on the model. This "ghosting" of the decal eventually disappeared leaving the area clear. The third decal which came from a third kit I bought, yikes, went on without to much problem at all and remained clear underneath the decal. Has anyone experienced this kind of problem before?
This Gotha 229 is a pretty aircraft and makes a nice addition to my collection. Enjoy.

Percheron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 432 posts
AeroScale: 360 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 10:38 AM UTC
Russell,

Great job on a cool plane. Those designs are so interesting, and really make good models. Especially since most never left the drawing board, which means a modeler can make it look anyway he want's and nobody can differ!!

My only critique (opinion) is an oil bath, the underside looks a little flat, and some light weathering should bring things out nicely.

-Derek
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,241 posts
AeroScale: 616 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 01:44 PM UTC
Cool job. Is this the new Revell one? I don't agree with Derek much. This obviously looks like a new bird(hmm or mammal as in bat?) in service thus probably didn't have much time to weather:} Looks real nice. By the way, why single Swastika? I guess I saw two on either side, just out of the exhoust line in the test gliders. Not sure of course. And this definately looks cool this way:}
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 02:59 PM UTC
Thanks for the kind words guys. A single swastika was my choice. The one that is in Air and Space Museum storage has two, but there is some question as to when these were added.
Since this bird never went into service it was just my choice to place one large swastika on the airplane. I think it looks pretty good that way and who knows what the service aircraft would fly with. Take care. Russell
imwhoim01
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 33 posts
AeroScale: 30 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 05:30 PM UTC
Nicely done!
I love it when someone picks an unusual kit
Obiwan3
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 50 posts
AeroScale: 21 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 09:26 PM UTC
Very nice job! That's another of my "to Be Built" projects.
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 06:58 AM UTC
This Revell of Germany kit is a nice one. I recommend it to anyone interested in unusual German aircraft subject of WW2. It builds quickly and easily as well. Russell
thehannaman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 279 posts
AeroScale: 194 posts
Posted: Friday, April 06, 2007 - 07:27 AM UTC
Looks good Russell. You don't see many of those done. I like the use of the yellow under the "nose" keeping with standard Luftwaffe markings. I always thought that the huge front gear ruined the look of an otherwise gorgeous aircraft. But then again, their supposed to be purdy in the air, not on the ground.
goldenpony
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
AeroScale: 54 posts
Posted: Friday, July 06, 2007 - 08:47 AM UTC
That sure was an off the wall aircraft. Had the war ran longer no telling waht the German's would have come up with. Nice build and thank you for sharing!

CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2007 - 06:26 AM UTC
Cool plane. It was my favorite when I played SWOTL.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2007 - 10:10 PM UTC
Looks very nice. I would also have used only one swastika.

Thanks for sharing
 _GOTOTOP