_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Contests
A monthly online photo contest. Show your work!
Discussion about the rules for the MOM
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 08:26 PM UTC
This thread is for discussion about the rules for the new MOM. Do remember that they have been written with knowledge gained from previous MOM's (2 years worth). the real reason for this is really just in case I have missed something.
Mal
The_Migrant
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 43 posts
AeroScale: 38 posts
Posted: Friday, April 06, 2007 - 03:37 AM UTC
The only rule I have slight misgivings about is the one which states that an aircraft can't be shown on a base. If a modeller builds an aircraft 'in-flight' for example, that necessitates a base of some kind. For instance my F-104 below would be disqualified, but there's no other way to show it because it's attached to the base:-

Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 04:38 PM UTC
A valid point, but how many models do you build in this configuration? In this instance though a simple base (no ground markings) used to simply balance the model would be exceptable, the same would be true for models on kit supplied, home made or shop bought stands. The rules do say that the model in the gallery must be on it's own but further pictures posted in the MOM thread can include a base. So that would cover you, it just needs a little for thought to take pictures, for the gallery, before adding the model to a base.
The reason for the ruling about no bases is so that the playing field is as level as possible. Not every modeller can, or want's to display their models on a base.
I will alter the rules to say that, "for a model posed in the "in Flight" configuration" a small stand is allowed which can be used to either support the model or as a counter weight".
There is another side to this. What about float planes? I would always show these on water but, for the MOM I would photograph it on it's beaching dolly, before putting it in it's natural setting. I'll add a line about that too.
Mal
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 10:20 PM UTC
Just a quick thought

Are we back to the one entry per person as the AMoQ was as many entries as the person wished?
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 01:59 AM UTC
Sorry Allen, I hadn't seen this.
I don't know of any rule that limits the number of entries per member. However, if you do finish more than one in a month and wish to enter them then be aware that you will, in effect, be diluting the vote against your self.

Mal
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 02:03 AM UTC
I'm thinking of limiting the number of pictures allowed in the MOM entry thread. At the moment there is no limit, but take a look at this months thread and see if you think that the amount of pictures posted is a problem? Will you bother to wait for them all to load? Should there be a maximum number?
Mal
Kriegshund
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 132 posts
AeroScale: 108 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 02:24 AM UTC
Personally, the amount of pictures is not a problem. I love seeing all of these models, but waiting for a bunch of pictures to load can be ponderous at times, especially with a dialup connection. Maybe a max of 3 or 4 pictures would be better; everyone can always post more in the galleries to share. Just my opinion of course.
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 02:28 AM UTC
I don't really have a problem with the time it takes to load the pictures but I suppose that's because I'm on a 6 meg broadband connection and I've manually tweaked my browser (Mozilla Firefox) to allow faster loading.

I would say that a limit of say four or five would suffice (if it came to it)
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
AeroScale: 510 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 02:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The only rule I have slight misgivings about is the one which states that an aircraft can't be shown on a base. If a modeller builds an aircraft 'in-flight' for example, that necessitates a base of some kind. For instance my F-104 below would be disqualified, but there's no other way to show it because it's attached to the base:-

Couldn't photos of this model be taken not showing the base? Even if you wanted to do a top angle down shot you could cover the base with white paper, a white pillowcase, etc.

Hope that helps.

Jim
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 1,045 posts
AeroScale: 622 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 02:47 AM UTC
I agree with having a limit as loading pic's isn't too bad when i'm at Tomcats but at home or work it poses a bit of a problem.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 02:58 AM UTC
Hi Mal

I agree that ideally the models should be against a neutral background to focus attention on the aircraft, but I don't really have a problem with a base - so long as it's clear that it's the model, not the base, that's being voted for. As much as it enhances it, for me a base can sometimes work against a model - either because it's poorly executed or overwhelms the subject.

On the topic of limiting the number of pics per entry - we only used to allow 3... and that seemed ample to me.

All the best

Rowan
jRatz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,171 posts
AeroScale: 151 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 06:03 AM UTC
For your consideration is an extract from the IPMS/USA National contest rules regarding bases ...

Bases will be allowed in all categories and will not be considered in the judging ... A base may simulate the natural surface on which the prototype would be found; however, nothing other than that surface may be used. Aircraft ... may rest on simulated ground or paving, and aircraft that need beaching gear or dollies may be so equipped. The base must not be the predominant feature of the entry and must be of a size proportionate to the model. ... The model may include primary crew figures. The addition of any other figures or equipment outside, or not attached to, the model (e.g., support equipment, foliage, shell splashes, or buildings) will make the model [ineligible for MOM] ...

I think a base is not out of line under these constraints; I am not so sure about primary crew unless they were in place in the model & not lounging around on the ground ...

John
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 12:56 AM UTC
The picture posted in the gallery must be without a base. This is to level the playing field. The extra pictures that are posted in the months thread can be on a base or even in a diorama.

The problem, at the moment, is that the number of pictures allowed in the thread are not limited. I thought that members would keep this to a reasonable level, but I suppose that each member will decide what they think is reasonable so that's OK. However I figured 3-5, depending on the file size, because of loading time for the page. If it takes too long to load no one will bother. There is nothing stopping a member linking to a WIP thread or even a feature.

So the question is should I limit the amount of pics in the MOM (month) thread?

Mal
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 01:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Mal!

Definitely yes! 3 pictures are more than enough. If someone wants to show more, he can link to another thread.

Jean-Luc
betheyn
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 02:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Mal!

Definitely yes! 3 pictures are more than enough. If someone wants to show more, he can link to another thread.

Jean-Luc

I quite agree. 3 photos worked before with no complaints (well none I heard anyway ).
Andy
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 02:27 PM UTC
Im all in favour of limiting the number of photos to 3 as it used to be in MOM.
As Jean Luc points out, its quite easy to link to a build thread and I feel that just posting 3 photos in the competition thread keeps it neat and orderly.
Nige
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 11:45 PM UTC
Yep I agree, I will add that for next month

For your consideration:
If pictures that break the rules are posted into the gallery, they will be removed (I have had to do this with 3 pics this month). What if the same member posts other rule breaking pictures in subsiquent months. Those pics will also be deleted, but this would suggest to me that either they are not reading the rules or are blatently ignoring them.

Should they be banned from entering? Remember that if we do get sponsorship this all has to be watertight. I also do not want to be put in the position of deleting pictures every month

Another rule which I think is going to be necessary is the posting date. Check out the April Gallery, 3 pics have been posted after the closing date, 2 of these are also breaking rule 6. I only spotted them today so they may have votes. I also didn't realise that pics could be added after voting was enabled.
There may be a sufficiant difference in time zones that one of these was actually posted within the deadline, but I think that there should be a rule to clarify this?

Your thoughts please
Mal
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 11:59 PM UTC
I have just checked out the April MOM contest thread and the model posted in the gallery on the 1st May was posted on the 30th April there. So there is a date difference between the gallery nad the forum so this one is OK ( I also believe that the member let me know that it would be quite late) This is OK but I think with the hope of getting sponsorship the dates will have to be tightend up. Further pics of the other 2 rule breaking entries do not appear in the contest thread. The 3 pics that I deleted also have no entries in the contest thread for May (same member) so I guess the rules haven't been looked at
Mal
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2007 - 01:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What if the same member posts other rule breaking pictures in subsequent months. ...Should they be banned from entering? Remember that if we do get sponsorship this all has to be watertight. I also do not want to be put in the position of deleting pictures every month

Hi Mal

Unless Jim has a trick up his sleeve, I'm not sure we can actually ban a member from entering. If someone behaves so badly that their Kitmaker membership has to be suspended, that's a different matter - there are Admin options in the Gallery to prevent them even accessing the pictures - but not a member who just doesn't understand (or chooses to ignore) the competition rules. So I think it is a question of deleting the pictures if need be.

On the sponsorship front - I'm delighted to announce that Dragon Models have very kindly offered to support the Aeroscale MoM! There'll be more details soon on the monthly prize, but I imagine it will be a mix of popular items from their catalogue and "specials" to coincide with new releases - so there's the exciting prospect of getting some really hot new kits that may even sometimes precede general release.

All the best

Rowan
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2007 - 02:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

On the sponsorship front - I'm delighted to announce that Dragon Models have very kindly offered to support the Aeroscale MoM!

Fantastic news Rowan!
Now,,all I have to do is actually get the time to finish something so I can join in the fun!

Nige
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2007 - 11:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

..........So I think it is a question of deleting the pictures if need be.

Yep that's what it will have to be

Great news on the sponsorship deal, well done Rowan

Mal
 _GOTOTOP