_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
what colour should bombers be
cartridge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 61 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 12:03 PM UTC
What colour should bombers be like B-24s, and B-17
TwistedFate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 805 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 12:09 PM UTC
It really depends on the bomber. I've seen them black, gray, Olive Drab, Natural Metal, almost any color out there. Are you thinking of a bomber in particular??
slodder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
AeroScale: 305 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 12:10 PM UTC
Gotta be a bit more specific - Era, Designation, Theater, operation, nationality.
They range from OD, Black, Blue, no paint, .....
Take a look through the Gallery and get an idea.
AJLaFleche
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
AeroScale: 328 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 01:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Gotta be a bit more specific - Era, Designation, Theater, operation, nationality.
They range from OD, Black, Blue, no paint, .....
Take a look through the Gallery and get an idea.

Not to mention the wildly colorful schemes used in the late 1930's war games.
TankCarl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 3,581 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 03:07 PM UTC
Liberators and that Boeing airplane were OD over neutral grey until around mid '44.Then with air superiority,camo could be removed or not used.Look at the B-29...
Some Liberators used for night agent drops were gloss black.(anti searchlight)
So,look at when your model is supposed to have been BUILT,and which theatre of operations.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 07:53 PM UTC
Slow down guys, cartridge is only 11 years old.
Cartridge,
Simple scheme is Olive Drab (Browny Green) top sides, Neutral Grey undersides. Don't worry about time scale or theatre of operations. The kit scheme will be fine.
A tip. You need to ask more spacific questions, if you can. I understand that this is fun, but you will want to learn as well. There is a great deal of knowledge here. Just think how cool it's gonna be when your mates are invited to see you latest creation. Garuntee game they will go "WOW, did you really built that, no way"
Stick with OD and Neutral Grey for the time being for both B24 and B17. Above all have fun
:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
Mal
cartridge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 61 posts
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2003 - 12:59 AM UTC
Thanks holdfast :-)
penpen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2003 - 03:22 AM UTC
Their are some fun color schemes, most of all with the B24 :
- desert yellow, fading with the sun to pink (pink on a war machine is always fun to me)!
- white with colored dots for the planes that were creating the formations over england and the channel. These planes would turn back before reaching ennemy territory. If I had a B24 model, I think I'd go for that scheme (if I could find it again...).
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2003 - 08:41 AM UTC
:-) penpen HHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!
Yep of course the assembly ships.
Cartridge they were wild schemes, if you are looking to do something totaly off the wall these would be that. However they are quite complicated. I have pics, somewhere if you are interested. I would stick with OD & Neutral Grey for the time being though. Do you have a bomber model?
Just a thought, there is a Battle for Britain campaign just getting started, wont actually kick off till May. Why don't you take a look and see if you would like to take part. There will be a catagory for young and/or novice modellers, we can help you through the build, with advice, hints and tips. There probably wont be any prizes but for those taking part, and completing it there will be a campaign ribbon. No pressure, get comfortable with the forums and everything else before taking the decision.
Battle for Britain Campaign
Also take a look at the Spitfire Group Build, see how we are helping each other. It is intended that the Campaign is similar.
Spitfire Group Build
If you want to know more, or have any queries, you can PM me (Personal, or Private Message) just click on the PM icon at the bottom of my post. :-)
Mal
 _GOTOTOP