_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Aeroscale Reviews Policy - YOU Decide
MikeMx
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 649 posts
AeroScale: 434 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 30, 2012 - 09:46 AM UTC
IMHO the in box reviews are fine to give us an idea of what's in a kit, old tool, new tool, marking options, variants that can be built, etch, resin parts etc etc. We can't all get to a Model Shop (I'm lucky enough to own one), so it gives you an idea before you buy. The more the merrier as far as I'm concerned!

If it is possible, it would be good to see full build reviews. Not everyone is an expert modeller who can or even likes to fix problems when building a kit. Personally I hate vac form canopies and ill fitting kits with a passion, so a Full build article would be good, as it would highlight problems that you can't figure out from looking at the box contents. It would certainly help people with their choice of kits!

thanks
Mike
raypalmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,151 posts
AeroScale: 985 posts
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2013 - 11:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Spitfire! There was a magazine, here in the U.S. ,back in the 1980's that did just that. I wish I could remember the name of it. I think I was only one of a few people who actually subscribed to it. What they did was; take a new kit and build it, without paint or putty and show exactly how the kit went together and what it's faults where. They never delved into inaccuracies of the subject, only on fit and finish.

This is best.

I'm also going to go ahead and say I can't stand the video reviews. They're just no good imho. I can read, I worked hard learning how to do that.
Scrodes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 771 posts
AeroScale: 763 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2013 - 12:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I would like to see more build reveiws with first looks when the kit is released. Just my 2 cents

Agreed completely - I come here for the regulars and hope to be a regular contributor. Anyone can read an in-box review and look at some photos. There is likely little informative info in these articles, BUT reading a build review written by someone I trust and admire could sway me into or out of buying a new kit.

In short - more build articles, I dont care what's IN the box, I care more about how things look when they and up OUT of the box.
SuperSandaas
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sør-Trøndelag, Norway
KitMaker: 189 posts
AeroScale: 142 posts
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2013 - 04:45 AM UTC
Personally I prefer build-threads in the forum rather than Full-build reviews, as the latter must be more abbreviated than the former.

Now, my "ideal" review tells me a) whats in the box, and perceived strengths and weaknesses. (A test of fit, the amount of flash, engineering of parts etc.)
b) The subjects that can be constructed OOB from the kit (including decals/profiles) c) Any background info on the kit (is it a reissue, or new molds? How does it compare to other kits of the same subject?) d) A few words on scale accuracy and instruction IF they are much better or worse than the norm.

Pictures of the box, sprues, decals and preferably profiles.

Incidentally I hope to complete reviews of a couple of kits I have in my stash that haven't been reviewed here yet, so then I can put my money where my mouth is, so to speak.
 _GOTOTOP