_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Showcase on Early Aviation talents - EdmondT.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2007 - 03:34 AM UTC
Greetings all I thought we might do with a bit of spotlight on some modelers that I have come to know as "talented." We can always learn from the works of other modelers. (So you don't get too bored with my opinions.) Here are some of the 1/72 works of Philippe Spriesterbach callsign "EdmondThieffry".

First and foremost I recommend a visit to his website :
http://philippesmodels.be/

"This model is based on the 1/72th Roden kit, basically built straight from the box. I've just added the radiator pipes and new control horns, modified the bottom of the radiator, scratched two Schwarzlose MG and the entire cockpit minus the control stick that was a litlle gem. Finally I added the gasoline line for the auxiliary tank on the left of the cockpit . I paint the cockpit as usually with a drybrush of burnt sienna applied on a base coat of acrylic pale yellow. For this base coat, I used different shade of pale yellow to vary the final appearence of the wood..."

"This model is based on the 1/72 multimedia Flashback kit. It's one of my last achievment in WWI modeling. This model was extensively reworked. I cut all mobile parts (ailerons, rudder, elevators) and slightly repositionned them at a more workable position. I made new struts from bamboo sticks; gussets for control cable from heat streched tube (QTip). I builded the entire cockpit with the photoetched and resin parts furnished by Flashback and added the electrical circuit and fuel feeder from copper wires of different sizes. The cellon panel on the upper wing was made from a cellophane sheet. I traced the internal rigging on the back of the sheet, built the internal structure of wing with bits of plastic sheet (Evergreen) and fixed the cellon panel with a bit of Future. After it was set, I liberally futured them internally and externally to restore the transparency and to strenghten the setting..."

" This model is based on the 1/72 Pegasus shortrun. The cockpit and the gunner emplacement are entirely scratchbuilt, but I used Tom's Modelworks photoetching for the support of the MG and the MG itself. Fuselage was tick as the trailing edge of both wing and I had to refined them a little. Other pieces are really fine and it was a pleasure to build this kit. The hexagons on the wings, rudder and tailplane come from Almark. Other decals, as crosses and markings are provided by Pegasus. I've to mix my own red for the front fuselage, because I've not found a matching red straight from the bottle. If I remember correctly, my mix was made from a scarlet red and one or two droplets of yellow..."

"This model is based on the old Pegasus kit. The cockpit is entirely scratchbuilt. The camouflage on the upper wing is handpainted with a very fine brush (#OOO). For CDL, I used only the Gunze Sangyo sail colour. Here is my method for representing wood. First, I paint a coat of Gunze sail or sand colour. Next I drybrush the model with burnt sienna oil colour from Winsor & Newton all over the wooden area. To finish, I put on a wash of brown madder alizarin (W & N) diluted with a mix of one part turpentine and one part white spirit applied to recessed lines with the same very fine brush..."

goldstandard
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 208 posts
AeroScale: 186 posts
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2007 - 04:38 AM UTC
Wow. It is nice to see just how good one can make these models. One thing that caught my eye was his rigging job on the Thulin D with all the wires converging on that one spar. It must have been a lot of work getting them all on there securely.
 _GOTOTOP