_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Got Any Camouflage Ideas for Aircraft?
shonen_red
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
AeroScale: 543 posts
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2003 - 09:43 PM UTC

Anyone got an idea on what paint colors should I use for these camouflage schemes?
(Present day, US Schemes F16, F22, F18, F17 jets)
-Dessert
-Arctic
-Jungle
-Urban
-Naval
-Rollout
-Army
-Marines
-Air Force

Anyone who could help will be greatly appreciated
SS-74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2003 - 10:17 PM UTC
God another tall question to answer.

You need to specify which country, time era, etc. otherwise, someone can come up with a book to answer this, sorry I erred, volumns of books to answer this.

Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
AeroScale: 287 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 01:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

-Dessert

Yellow if doing a banana split scheme, red if it's a strawberry shortcake scheme.
To echo what Dave says, this is too wide a question. You need to narrow your focus for instance, "What color is a ______ aircraft that was used in the desert during (WW2, Gulf War, etc.)?"
slodder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
AeroScale: 305 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 02:01 AM UTC
Sabot - you make me laugh.
You post made me think of the diorama of a B24 being maintained and painted in polka-dots on a white background. #:-)

I'd check out the gallery and get an idea of what you're looking for then ask about paint as far as manufacture and tint etc.
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 02:04 AM UTC
Shonen-red, you have to be more specific.
AJLaFleche
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
AeroScale: 328 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 02:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yellow if doing a banana split scheme,

Of course with this scheme, you get to leave the entire fuselage seam un-filled. #:-)
TwistedFate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 805 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 06:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Yellow if doing a banana split scheme,

Of course with this scheme, you get to leave the entire fuselage seam un-filled. #:-)

That's it. All my future aircraft will now be in this scheme. I'm throwing away the putty now. :-)
Desert-Fox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 652 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 06:48 AM UTC
Waht toppings would you guys put on such a scheme............ #:-) #:-) #:-)
AJLaFleche
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 06:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Waht toppings would you guys put on such a scheme............ #:-) #:-) #:-)

Let's see...white undersides, disruptive pattern of dark brown, red and yellow, with cloud pattern camo over that and red painted turrets. #:-)
TwistedFate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 805 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 07:06 AM UTC
Free fall ordinance shall be mottle nut-brown, over white
AJLaFleche
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 07:15 AM UTC
Nose art and aircraft name would have to be THE DAIRY QUEEN
Bodeen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
AeroScale: 14 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 07:41 AM UTC
Did anyone ever think that making fun of a guy's question..not to mention someone who is relatively new to the site...might make him think twice about coming back here. I know you didn't mean any harm..but does he know that? I'm sure he only came here for help..not ridicule. What happens if he was a new modeller and thought this would be the place to get some help. Are we turning into the very snobs and prigs that we all hate? Think about it! Jeff
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 02:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Did anyone ever think that making fun of a guy's question..not to mention someone who is relatively new to the site...might make him think twice about coming back here. I know you didn't mean any harm..but does he know that? I'm sure he only came here for help..not ridicule. What happens if he was a new modeller and thought this would be the place to get some help. Are we turning into the very snobs and prigs that we all hate? Think about it! Jeff

While I think the topic may have digressed from the intitial question, I don't think anyone here was actively trying to make fun of the shonen_red's question. On that note, posters need to try and keep the responses somewhat relevant.

Now, shonen_red...welcome to ArmoramA-the best modeling site on the net. As you can see from some of the responses we do like to have fun here so don't take it personally. To address your question, we need more information as some of the posters have already pointed out. A Naval camo scheme for instance varies if your talking about modeling a WWII Corsair or a modern fighter but it can also vary based on what year, type of aircraft or region if your painting a WWII plane. If you could narrow your question down to a particular subject your working on or are interested in you'll find that fellow members of the site will be able to offer some good information.

Again, welcome to the site.
propboy44256
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
AeroScale: 285 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 04:04 PM UTC
Sometimes written communication is the hard for non-english speaking countries.
SS-74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 04:21 PM UTC
Sometimes, English-Speaking countries too....hehe
Folgore
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Canada
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 04:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You post made me think of the diorama of a B24 being maintained and painted in polka-dots on a white background.

I'm sure I saw something similar in a Shep Paine book. Honest!

shonen_red -- If you are trying to get accurate matches of the colours of aircraft, Modelmaster makes it pretty easy most of the time as they have a full line of German, American, British, Russian, etc. paints to choose from. If this brand isn't available where you are or you prefer to use Tamiya acrylics then there is a useful Tamiya Paint Mix Database that shows you which of their colours to mix for many of the real colours used by the armed forces of the past and present. If you need to know which colours to look for, this obviously varried greatly, so you should ask this once you know which specific model you are going to build.

I hope that site comes in handy for you (and welcome to Armorama).

Nic
Folgore
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Canada
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 04:45 PM UTC
Just came across this thread. You might find it useful as well.

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/9757&page=1

Nic
Linz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Australia
KitMaker: 181 posts
Posted: Friday, March 14, 2003 - 07:14 PM UTC
I assume that you only want the schemes for the four listed aircraft (in USAF/USN/USMC service only), so I'll try to help answer the question. The three aircraft in service/nearly in-service only have one colour scheme usually, grey. The YF-17 had a couple though.

F-16
The exterior 3-colour scheme for some USAF F-16s consists of:

FS36375 Light Ghost Gray - underside
FS36270 Neutral Gray - for lighter forward/upper surfaces
FS36118 Gunship Gray - for darker upper/rear surfaces

To create the 2 colour scheme, disregard the Light Ghost Gray.

The cockpit is 36375 Light Ghost Gray.

Also there is the Thunderbirds (Gloss white, insignia red, and insignia blue)

F/A-18
The colors used on the F/A-18 are :
FS 36320 Dark Ghost Grey for the top
FS 36375 Light Ghost Gray for the bottom

Also, there is the Blue Angels (Blue Angels Blue and chrome Yellow)

F-22
Uses a mod Eagle scheme

FS 36251 (light)
FS 36176 (dark).

I cannot lay hands on specific details for the YF-17 sorry. There are a bunch of unusual schemes that you may wish to do though, here's some of them:

You can find more at Jens Popp Scale Modell site, specifically the USAF Modern and US Navy pages.

Or

For more go to: http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/AWA1/101-200/walk186_F-16A/walk186.htm

For more go to: http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/AWA1/001-100/walk002_F-16C/part2/walk002b.htm

If that isn't to your liking, there are plenty of countries that operate both the F/A-18 and the F-16, so a fun scheme sould be very easy.

Cheers,
Linz
shonen_red
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
AeroScale: 543 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 08:32 PM UTC
:-) Thanks for the help though I don't know what brand those paints are. Don Color I think? Well I have to find somewhere else because we can only find here in the Philippines arefew selections of Model Master, Tamiya, Gunze Sangyo and Academy paints.
HunterCottage
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,717 posts
AeroScale: 139 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 09:10 PM UTC
Shonen_red,

No actually the colors are not Don Color, that is the copyright owner of the pictures shown. What Linz was showing you were the actual identification numbers used by the USAF to paint the schemes. What you need now is the actual reference chart by the paint manufacturer that you like to the get their color that matches the FS (FS stands for Federal Standard) number.

For example:
Model Master paint 1741 Dark Ghost Gray is Model Master's equivalent to FS 36320
Model Master paint 1728 Light Ghost Gray is Model Master's equivalent to FS 36375

Most paint manufacturers make a cross-reference chart to help modellers like yourself find the exact paint you are looking for in the FS series. Ask at your local hobby shop and they will surely be able to help you!!! This example was only specific for Model Master's paint.

I only have a short list based on Humbrol paints. I'm sure the others here can help you out with a specific brand and paint if needed!!

Welcome to our very happy bunch of wise-crackers!!!
Linz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Australia
KitMaker: 181 posts
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2003 - 11:50 AM UTC
As Brian said, the FS is the system used on full-scaled items, it is used to differentiate slight colour varitations.

The first number indicates sheen level (1 = gloss, 2 = semi-gloss, 3 = matt)

The second number indicates what general colour it is (0 = brown, 1 = red, 2 = orange, 3 = yellow, 4 = green, 5 = blue, 6 = grey, 7 = other (white, black, violet, metallic), 8 = fluorescent)

The last three numbers indicate intensity, the lower the value the darker the colour.

There are a couple of online conversions, the best of the lot would be Urban Fredriksson's Color Reference Charts, Part One groups paints by country and time period, Part Two groups paints by manufacturer. So if you know the Humbrol number, you can find what the equivalent Tamiya paint is etc.

Specifically, if you go here there is a summery of all that information, all you need to do is look for the FS number and read what paints match it.

Cheers,
Linz
HunterCottage
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,717 posts
AeroScale: 139 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 09:27 AM UTC
Funny you should mention just that one site... I've litterally been sitting on it and didn't know it existed...until today that is. The good ole´boys at IPMS Stockholm have done a great job with that reference section!! I'll be getting with them on April 2 and I'll give them my regards...

Isn't the web AWESOME!!!!!!
propboy44256
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
AeroScale: 285 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 03:49 AM UTC
How about luftwaffe winter camo scheme, on a JU88 or he111. RLM76+RLM75 mottle?
Puma112
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 322 posts
AeroScale: 44 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 03:40 PM UTC
How about a winter camo on a JU-52. Saw one recently and was very impressed. Looking for the picture I think I took now, will post if I find it.

Tracy
 _GOTOTOP