_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
NEWS
New 1/35 UH-1D kit
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 02:35 PM UTC
Dragon has announced a new 1/35 UH-1D kit with PE and a crew. Hopefully it is more than just the Panda kit with some updates, but that would be welcome as well.
Thanks to Gino (HeavyArty) for the News article.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Bigskip
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,487 posts
AeroScale: 575 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 03:54 PM UTC
Thanks for the news Andy
Busybeas
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 102 posts
AeroScale: 96 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 08:16 PM UTC

Thanks for the info, Gino / Andy

Looks a great model to add to the shelf "stash "

Cheers

Stevie B
MLD
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
AeroScale: 419 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 09:35 PM UTC
I'm really excited about this.

As long as it has little to nothing in common with the poor Panda kit, I'm very excited over this.

But given the hit or miss quality of some recent releases, I'll probably not pre-order, but wait for the build ( not peek in the box) reviews first.

Mike
bodag
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 21 posts
AeroScale: 3 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 04:40 PM UTC
It is almost certainly the Panda kit. They have already done the same with the Panda 1/350 ships. Hopefully there will be some cleanup and improvements. The PE and decals look good.

Jim

Quoted Text

I'm really excited about this.

As long as it has little to nothing in common with the poor Panda kit, I'm very excited over this.

But given the hit or miss quality of some recent releases, I'll probably not pre-order, but wait for the build ( not peek in the box) reviews first.

Mike

Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Friday, April 27, 2007 - 02:22 PM UTC
Hi all

Dragon have kindly provided some extra photos of the kit's contents, so I've slotted them into the News story.

All the best

Rowan
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Friday, April 27, 2007 - 08:55 PM UTC
As I suspected, it is the Panda kit with added PE. It also looks like they are giving us their standard Vietnam Helo Crew set with only one M23 mount, at least the figures look like only one fixed door gunner and the other free M60 gunner. We shall see.

Can someone who has some influence with Dragon give them the hint that it should have 2 M23 weapons mounts for the door gunners, not one?
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Friday, April 27, 2007 - 09:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Can someone who has some influence with Dragon give them the hint that it should have 2 M23 weapons mounts for the door gunners, not one?

Hi Gino

I can pass that back via my contacts, but I'm not sure if they were involved directly with the project (which already looks like it's at an advanced stage, so such a modification might not make it in time for this outing). Dragon really appreciate detailed feedback like this in the interests of accuracy.

All the best

Rowan
sherb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 752 posts
AeroScale: 14 posts
Posted: Friday, April 27, 2007 - 10:05 PM UTC
All the parts for the M23 Mount are on the weapons sprue from the figure set. All Dragon would have to do is stick in a second sprue. It would be nice if they added a new fixed door gunner.

While the Panda kit makes for a quick OOB weekend build there are some horribly oversized and simplified parts. I'm a little bummed out about the reboxing though the PE is a nice addition.
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, April 27, 2007 - 10:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

All the parts for the M23 Mount are on the weapons sprue from the figure set. All Dragon would have to do is stick in a second sprue. It would be nice if they added a new fixed door gunner.

Exactly. Hopefully they will place the second set in there. Especially since I recently traded away my spare M23 mount. Oh well.
betheyn
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 04:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all

Dragon have kindly provided some extra photos of the kit's contents, so I've slotted them into the News story.

All the best

Rowan

Thanks Rowan.
Despite a couple of discrepancies, that I wouldn't have noticed BTW , I can see this kit going into a few dio's.
Andy
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 07:25 AM UTC
Looks like the price will be pretty reasonable taking into account all that it comes with. Both Great Models and Sprue Brothers are listing it at a Pre-Order price of $31.95, and a regular price of $39.95.
TreadHead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
AeroScale: 370 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 12:22 AM UTC
Howdy fellas,

IIRC...didn't the Panda kit have some panel line 'issues', and moulded on rivet heads the size of golf balls [in scale}?

Tread.
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 12:48 AM UTC
Yup, panel lines excessively wide and large rivets. It can come out nicely though. I used one on a customer's UH-1H Vietnam Dust-Off model.

More here.

With some TLC, it can come out great. With the added PE parts, it should be even nicer.
TreadHead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
AeroScale: 370 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 02:01 AM UTC

..........sweeeeeeeeet Just another example of your 'silk purse' treatment huh Gino?

Tread.

BTW...I just noticed your nifty crew rework....what's the left-seater readin', a copy of Playboy or Stars and Stripes? ;-)
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 06:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

BTW...I just noticed your nifty crew rework....what's the left-seater readin', a copy of Playboy or Stars and Stripes?

Sorry, nothing that spectacular or racy. Its just a section of map so he can get back to base.
Intruderbass
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 67 posts
AeroScale: 27 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 05:31 PM UTC
Some more pics of Dragon Huey

Hobby Link Japan

Andy
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 05:44 PM UTC
As we suspected, it looks like they will only give you one M23 doorgun mount. What UH-1D/H ever had only one doorgun. Why don't they do a little research when releasing then updating kits?
bounce19712
KitMaker: 80 posts
AeroScale: 59 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 08:16 PM UTC
Gino, srry I took your spare M23 mount...lol....after I gave you my rocket pods I went and bought two more Frogs...lol....go figure.....

anyways I am troubled by the windscreen of the Panda model....whats the deal with that tiny section on the left side if yer looking at the model's windshield....left side, upper left corner that has some extra frame work included?...it's molded into the windshield...but I dont see this on real photos...it's where the small sensor probe is poking out of the windscreen on real Hueys....is it just oversized and really on Hueys?

thanks B
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, May 28, 2007 - 05:15 PM UTC
No problem on the mount. Hope you put it to good use. The triangle on the windscreen is where a sensor sticks out on some versions. It isn't really that noticeable and I guess you could leave it unpainted as well.
 _GOTOTOP