_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
Tamiya Focke Wulf FW190-A3
m_buchler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 137 posts
AeroScale: 103 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 11:59 AM UTC
Hey again. Here's some shots of my Tamiya FW190-A3 (1:48 scale), finished a few months back. It was a very good kit. This was my first attempt at German mottle scheme. Hope you find it enjoyable-

Thanks for looking!
-Mark
goldstandard
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 208 posts
AeroScale: 186 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 12:08 PM UTC
Very nicely done. I particularly like the wash job you did on the panel lines, the pigmentation is very consistent, something I have yet to master. Do you have any in progress pictures of this build?
m_buchler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 12:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Very nicely done. I particularly like the wash job you did on the panel lines, the pigmentation is very consistent, something I have yet to master. Do you have any in progress pictures of this build?

Thank you Michael. I don't have in-progress shots, but if there are any questions you'd like answered, just ask, I'd be happy to do so.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 02:49 PM UTC
Hi Mark

really great paint job!!!

One might argue that the panel highlighting is overdone (especially on the lower surfaces), but I personally prefer them a bit overdone, as it adds character to the model (even if it is not authentic) .. still you could use a slighly lighter color for the under side.

A final remark .. from the pix it seems to me you did not change the main wheels ... they are much to small in the Tamiya kit .. maybe consider replacing them (do not use the "flat" True Details stuff .. maybe Cutting Edge, Aires or others) ...

Again, great model!!!

best wishes

Steffen
goldstandard
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 208 posts
AeroScale: 186 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 05:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't have in-progress shots, but if there are any questions you'd like answered, just ask, I'd be happy to do so.

Well, I would like to know what you used to get the darker shading on the edges of the main wheel doors. Did you get that effect by preshading or though a wash, and if a wash what kind of pigment did you use for the wash?
m_buchler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 06:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, I would like to know what you used to get the darker shading on the edges of the main wheel doors. Did you get that effect by preshading or though a wash, and if a wash what kind of pigment did you use for the wash?

This effect was accomplished by the application of Doc O'Brien's Weathering Powders (available through www.micromark.com) with a small stiff brush. The powder was applied heavily, then softened with an earbud (Q-Tip). It will be blended in even further when the final clear dullcote is sprayed on. This is in fact how all the panel lines were done. However, first, for the panel lines and detail areas, I applied my preferred detail wash, which is nothing more than tempera paints thinned with water (see my article in FineScale Modeler, February 2005). This makes an excellent wash, since tempera paints will not react with any finish, and they can be washed off and re-applied as many times as necessary. This wash is applied after the decals are on and sealed with a glosscote. (Don't apply the wash to a dullcoted model, or it will be rather difficult to wipe off the excess.) Just brush the wash into the lines, let dry, then wipe off the excess with a damp cloth. Re-apply if the lines aren't dark enough for your taste. Let it dry, then seal it with a dullcote to prepare for the next step (the powders). You need the dullcote, otherwise the weathering powders will not stick to the model. Brush the powder along all the lines, etc., then again blend with a Q-Tip, then seal with dullcote again. Easy, eh?

I used to preshade, but preshading can quickly become a nightmare, especially when you have a splinter camo or other complex pattern. You can spend days just masking! It's more work than it's worth, in my opinion.

Hope that helps!
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 880 posts
AeroScale: 654 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 06:59 AM UTC
Hi. Very, very nice. Clean build, nice paint work and nice weathering. I really like photo #4. Great job,Wingman out.
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 10:54 AM UTC
Hi Mark!

Very nice model! The paint-job is great and I like how the decals turned out. Are they from the box? I particulary would like to know how you got those white dotted walkways to look so good.

Again, congratulations for your first German mottle sheme!

Jean-Luc
m_buchler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 09:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Mark!

Very nice model! The paint-job is great and I like how the decals turned out. Are they from the box? I particulary would like to know how you got those white dotted walkways to look so good.

Thank you, Jean-Luc. The decals are straight from the box. The white dotted walkway decals required infinite patience. I cut the backing paper as close to the decal as possible. Then I positioned the wetted decal paper as close to its final resting place as possible, then slid the decal onto the wing surface. Keeping it nice and wet allowed me to maximize time for any final positioning. Of course if I were to touch the decal, it would jump up and wrap itself around my finger, so I used a round toothpick for final positioning. My preferred setting solution is Solvaset, which I thin with water to around 60% strength.
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 01:55 AM UTC
Nice and clean build. Excellent the job with the panel lines and gral. weathering. very good !
Removed by original poster on 12/21/07 - 02:10:42 (GMT).
 _GOTOTOP