_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Imagineering at its best in scale
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 06:46 AM UTC
The gang up in Seattle Washington have a great collective sense of humor and get my vote as Wingnut modeling club of the year... Great show folks!
http://www.ipms-seattle.org/

Aug. 2, 2008 Their links don't seem to function any more.

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 07:00 AM UTC
Here is one for Jan "Lucky13" Bojarp

A Fokker Dr.III Hah!

baclightning
KitMaker: 3 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 08:37 AM UTC
Every couple of years IPMS Seattle (of which I am the club newsletter editor) has a "what if"-themed contest at our spring model show. Our last contest, for entrants in a hypothetical 1949 Schneider Trophy Race, was won by Mike Millette, which gave him the right to choose the next subject.

Mike's idea was what he called the Jasta Schweinhimmel - the idea was to build any 1/48th scale (or close to it) WW1 aircraft in a hypothetical scheme. It was up to the builder how far he or she chose to go. For some this meant taking an existing aircraft and using new markings and colors - for others it meant converting kits to represent aircraft that never existed, such as the tri-engined Fokker DR.III built by Ken Murphy from three SMER Dr.Is! Ken's entry was the winner in the contest, which gives him the right to choose the next subject.

Entries were judged on several points, including imagination, execution, and best back story (each entry had to be accompanied by a history of the aircraft - the more outlandish the better).

Unfortunately, I suffered a back injury two days before the show, and was not able to attend, my first missed show in 15 years. So I haven't seen the entries in person. But form what I can can sense by the photos, there were some very inventive entries...

I'll see if I can get more details (total entries, etc.), and will post them here.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 02:09 PM UTC
We here at Aeroscale sincerely hope you back will heal quickly. Our own lord high imperious poohbah "Merlin" has a tricky back and it lays him up badly at times. All the best and thank you for dropping in feel free to join in anytime!
Percheron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 432 posts
AeroScale: 360 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 07:57 PM UTC
I attended the Seattle (my first) show and was thrilled my the quality of the work. It looked like it was very well organized and the volunteers were quite friendly and helpful. I also got a sweet deal on a 1/48 Accurate Minitures SBD-3 , yes, a fellow could have spent the kids college fund on all the cool stuff.

-Derek
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,707 posts
AeroScale: 1,119 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 08:27 PM UTC
I'm honored... Wanna go up for a mock dogfight??
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 10:14 AM UTC
Just bringing this up for a curious fellow.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 11:59 AM UTC
Stephen, is this your next campaign?
TreadHead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
AeroScale: 370 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 10:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Stephen, is this your next campaign?

............now, this idea I like.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 10:34 AM UTC
See this thread. Air Campaign 2008.
TreadHead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
AeroScale: 370 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 03:56 PM UTC
Howdy Stephen,

For my Farthing's worth, I kinda like the " Pulp Fiction " idea.....a blood red von Hammer creation would be most do-able.
But, if you are indeed casting a net for potential ideas then I would like to entertain the previously mentioned ' what-if ' train of thought. I have always been intrigued by the overly massive flying monstrosities during these early stages of flight...some of the Italian seaplanes come to mind.

But then there I go over the edge again..........sorry

Tread.

_GOTOTOP