Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Academy 1/72 BF 109 E 3/4 MESSERSCHMITT...WIP
Vulcan1701
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 34 posts
AeroScale: 25 posts
Posted: Monday, May 07, 2007 - 01:00 AM UTC
After taking a long hiatus from modeling in general, I'm back with this small kit. This is only my second post ever here on the forums (my other being in the sci-fi forums on model geek.) I'm not done yet - trying out several new methods for making a better model including using future polish and micro sol and set for the decals...painting and masking, and I plan to weather the kit here soon as well. I realize the color scheme may not be as authentic as it could be, but I am going more for technique than authenticity with this one.

Please be kind, I know this still looks like a toy at this point but I hope to improve with each new kit as I have enjoyed this immensely. Any and all suggestions or comments are certainly welcome! I enjoy being a part of this community!

Well, here goes:
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Monday, May 07, 2007 - 01:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

After taking a long hiatus from modeling in general, I'm back with this small kit.
I realize the color scheme may not be as authentic as it could be, but I am going more for technique than authenticity with this one

Good idea, walk don't run back into the hobby.

The underwing markings do look a little large

Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Monday, May 07, 2007 - 02:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Please be kind, I know this still looks like a toy at this point but I hope to improve with each new kit as I have enjoyed this immensely. Any and all suggestions or comments are certainly welcome! I enjoy being a part of this community!

Hi Vulcan1701, the key thing here is that you "enjoyed this immensely", which is what we all strive for Aiming to improve with each kit is also the way forward.

"Any and all suggestions or comments are certainly welcome!"
The model looks to be cleanly built, for your next one can I suggest that you eliminate the join lines You will be able to find methods within the forums, but if you prefer just ask and we will be happy to help.

The underwing crosses are obviously that size so that flak gunners don't make any mistakes

We would love to see your progress with all your future kits

Mal
goldstandard
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 208 posts
AeroScale: 186 posts
Posted: Monday, May 07, 2007 - 02:41 AM UTC
Well, of course the underwing markings look large, this is an Academy kit, after all. One of the other modelers on these forums has already vowed never to use academy decals again, I believe it was stm in his build thread for the LA-7, if I remember right.

At least the thick decals should be less prone to tearing... Anyways, nicely built kit. Have you tried the Academy 1/72 P-40E and N models yet? The details are quite nice on those kits too. Just avoid the older P-40B/C kit they make, very poor interior details and the control surfaces look overly simplified, almost toy like. It looks like you did some filling at the seams where the wing joins the fuselage. While the fit is usually pretty good with these kits, seams can rear their ugly head often enough where the wing meets the fuselage. What are you planning to use for the wash?
Vulcan1701
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, May 07, 2007 - 04:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Vulcan1701, the key thing here is that you "enjoyed this immensely", which is what we all strive for Aiming to improve with each kit is also the way forward.

"Any and all suggestions or comments are certainly welcome!"
The model looks to be cleanly built, for your next one can I suggest that you eliminate the join lines You will be able to find methods within the forums, but if you prefer just ask and we will be happy to help.

The underwing crosses are obviously that size so that flak gunners don't make any mistakes

We would love to see your progress with all your future kits

Mal

Thanks for the kind words!

I'd love any suggestions you may have on filling the join lines. I'm assuming some sort of putty but I'm not very experienced in using that yet.

Believe it or not, those large decals on the bottom of the wings are supposedly the right ones for the particular 109 that I was building - the E-3, 1/JG51 flown by Feldwebel, Heinz bar, summer 1939...according to the instructions.

For the wash, I'ev had some luck with chalk wash on some practice runs so I'm gonna try that. I REALLY look forward to applying this technique and seeing how it augments the look of the plane overall.

Thanks again for the comments!
Vulcan1701
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 05:11 PM UTC
Small update here...finished the decals and added a weathering wash to the whole plane. This was my first wash attempt - used a chalk and water mixture since I'm still not comfortable mixing an oil based paint wash mixture yet. It came out ok I guess...for a first attempt. Next up is the Dull Coat and then I will attach the canopy and it will be finished!

Can anyone suggest an easy method for filling join lines? I've tried finding something on the forums but I can't seem to find anything. Thanks! Any and all comments or suggestions are welcome!

Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 05:48 PM UTC
For filling seams, you can't go far wrong with putty. Squadron's green putty is what I use the most. Apply with a cocktail stick, hobby knife blade or some other tool you find suitable, let dry, and sand smooth. Letting the putty dry completely before sanding is essential, since some putties contain solvents which melt the plastic a little, same way as styrene cement, making the putty stick well.

Your build looks pretty good so far. Some seams could use some filling and sanding, though. When you go out to buy some modeling supplies next time, invest in a file or two, they will come very handy. (like the slight mismatch of fuselage halves in the frontal air intake for example).
I really like the way you got the decals attached, no silvering at all. I presume they're from the academy kit? Impressive, I have never succeeded in gettin academy's decals to settle down without silvering. No matter the gloss surface underneath, or microsol, they silver.

One more thing. Please, refrain from posting very large pictures.
Depending on one's connection, they take largish to humongous amounts of time to load, and force people to scroll the page not only up and down but sideways as well, both to read the text and see the photos. IMO, 800x640 resolution is quite ideal. It doesn't spoil the details, don't take ages to load, and fit almost any monitor nicely. Nothing wrong with you photography, the pics are nice and sharp, they're just huge. A little cropping and resizing would make them much more pleasant to view.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 06:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The underwing markings do look a little large

Hi Vulcan and others

do not worry the under wing crosses are o.k. ... but the upper wing crosses should/could be equally large and in the same (inboard) position (there are some pix in Stipdonk/Meyer "Jagdgeschwader 51 Mölders - Eine Bilddokumentation" which indicate this).

Rules changed pretty often in the first stages of the war and IIRC the upper wing crosses were changed first. So I would not change it on the model. BTW This a/c is really interesting. Bär claimed the first victory for I./JG 51 in it on 25.09.1939 and it was later flown by Josef Priller ...

best wishes

Steffen
Vulcan1701
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 07:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

For filling seams, you can't go far wrong with putty. Squadron's green putty is what I use the most. Apply with a cocktail stick, hobby knife blade or some other tool you find suitable, let dry, and sand smooth. Letting the putty dry completely before sanding is essential, since some putties contain solvents which melt the plastic a little, same way as styrene cement, making the putty stick well.

Your build looks pretty good so far. Some seams could use some filling and sanding, though. When you go out to buy some modeling supplies next time, invest in a file or two, they will come very handy. (like the slight mismatch of fuselage halves in the frontal air intake for example).
I really like the way you got the decals attached, no silvering at all. I presume they're from the academy kit? Impressive, I have never succeeded in gettin academy's decals to settle down without silvering. No matter the gloss surface underneath, or microsol, they silver.

One more thing. Please, refrain from posting very large pictures.
Depending on one's connection, they take largish to humongous amounts of time to load, and force people to scroll the page not only up and down but sideways as well, both to read the text and see the photos. IMO, 800x640 resolution is quite ideal. It doesn't spoil the details, don't take ages to load, and fit almost any monitor nicely. Nothing wrong with you photography, the pics are nice and sharp, they're just huge. A little cropping and resizing would make them much more pleasant to view.

Thanks for the kind words on the decals. I was pleasantly surprised by how well they turned out. I DID use the decals included with the model - a base coat of Future on the paint and then an application or two of Micro Set once the decal was placed, and you see the results...

I will definitely invest in some putty for my next build. Thanks for the suggestions on that!

I will also endeavour to post better sized pictures. Sorry about that...

Any comments on the weathering? I wish I could get it more uniform, but maybe that's the point - to have it look random and uneven rather than perfect and in each and every rivet or panel line.

Thanks for the help!
goldstandard
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 208 posts
AeroScale: 186 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 11:41 PM UTC
Not a bad job with that wash. Only thing is that the pigment seems overly grainy. I actually jumped right into using oil base washes at the start, and had a few problems at first. One was that I used a thinner that was overly harsh on the model, and second, I didn't let the Future cure long enough to properly protect my enamel undercoat! I ended up taking a little paint off some raised details, but nothing too serious.

When prepping for an oil wash it is very important you don't miss any spots with the Future, and second, use an odorless thinner, it is milder and easier on your respiratory system. I use the grumbacher brand which hasen't given me any problems yet.

Experiment with different washes until you find the right ratio of thinner to paint for your model, then carefully fill in the seams. It is important that you get as much paint as possible in those engraved details, and as little as possible elsewhere, because if you just slop paint everywhere, your model will have a rather muddy look. Don't forget to use a good lint free cloth!
 _GOTOTOP